Goldeneye Source OUT

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

OMG. This is just. It's Goldeneye to a T. It's PERFECT. And has beautiful music! Going back in...

http://www.goldeneyesource.com/ 180mb

Dreams of playing Goldeneye online have come true! I don't need a Wii VC version now :p , now all download it so we can have a bloody excellent deathmatch on Complex.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup! You can't jump, you can crawl, all the weapons and their sounds. updated music. Enhanced maps etc. It's all very beautiful so far :D needless to say Complex servers are always full. And Cave looks stunning :eek: the gameplay is still there though, and it doesn't feel a day old :D

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

crap i dont have one of those games for the setup though. owell

5. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Is this a windows thing or Mac OS X thing?

Thanks.

6. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

lmao this has been out for so long. I had this a long time ago. I used to play it with my friends.

7. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

The final version was released yesterday.

I want to play so bad, but I don't have HL2.

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Windows, needs Half Life 2 (hense the Source in the name).

Just found a really good server. Good thing about this mod too is that you can still play properly with high pings, I was on 200 before but in first place! It's great. Absolutely great.

9. pcypert macrumors 6502

I hated this game back in the day. Of course at the time I was enjoying Quake 1 online with rocket jump and grapple and CTF....No nostalgic memories for me on this one. I didn't think it pushed any boundaries at all gameplay wise...it was fun to play on 64 for short times, but that was just mostly because N64 was lacking in this type of game done well...

Paul

10. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

BLASPHEMER!

People! Time to fire up the flame thrower! This guy needs some FLAMING!

:D

Seriously though, Goldeneye was way WAY better than Quake, man. The various game types, the limitless changes to rules you can make (hands only! Anyone remember that? Hilarity!). And the inability to jump adds to the game I think. I hated the jumping bunnies the Quake and it's clones always attract.

11. The Senator macrumors regular

The Senator

yo this guy knows whats up, quake smake

12. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

You got me excited, whys it gotta be winblows! I hate running bootcamp/parallels...

13. BryanP macrumors member

BryanP

Goldeneye is the reason why I purchased the Nintendo 64.

14. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Thats funny my 40 year old parents at the time did the same thing. I was visiting my mom and her husband, so I brought my N64 to pass the time while they were at work. They saw me playing and decided to try out some multiplayer action. That same night they went out and bought the N64.

15. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

WOW, not pushing boundaries? what the hell are you smoking?

- AFAIK it was one of the first games to support variable damage, headshots were instant kills, body shots did medium damage and limb shots did least. Shooting in the crotch would have them roll over in pain, in the hand and they wouldn't be able to shoot back for a short time
    - no jump actually enhances strategy. Rather than just jumping about to evade shots the player is forced to think where he/she can go if an encounter goes bad. Adding jump to Goldeneye would be like adding machine guns to Chess pieces.
    - the first console FPS done well setting the way for other FPS games until consoles could properly provide a mouse alternative with dual analogue.

16. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Goldeneye was a pretty fun game, I loved it and even the single player was wicked...

If anyone is interested in playing a similar game you should try out TimeSplitters 2 for Xbox, GCUBE or PS2 (don't bother with TS3, EA ruined it) its made by the same guys who made Goldeneye and thus features many similarities, it is an awesome multiplayer game and very funny, best console FPS from the last generation in my opinion, yes even better than Halo (which is good but I laughed way more with TS2).

17. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

TS2 pwnz sooo bad! Love it to bits. Amazing for LAN parties and stuff. :)

18. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Hear hear. TS2 co-op was brilliant, even played it Goldeneye style (hold shoulder button) :D loved it. and yes. TS3 was tripe.

19. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Honestly, jumping in shooter games is pretty dumb in general, at least if it's suppose to even a little realistic.

Does anyone think soldiers would actually jump around? Umm... insta-death anyone?

20. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I agree. This game practically invented sniping

21. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

me too, i still bring it out to play sometime

22. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Man with the golden gun... now that was fun... especially when no one realized you could look with the C buttons...

23. pcypert macrumors 6502

It might have offered new things for consoles, but I'd played games (maybe not that well executed and not that famous) before then. I remember massive nights of playing this in Uni...people waiting turns to get in on the four player action....I'd watch them over my shoulder while playing many other games online. Everyone got so good at the limited maps that it came down to where you spawned at the start to how you would finish....because once everyone knew the map, weapons, etc it was just who was closest to the better weapon/armor for victory.

I think calls for flames are a bit much and that person should be reported. All I did was state my opinion. I said the game was alright and kind of fun at the time....but think that the gameplay was a bit slow for me. Maybe jumping isn't so realistic...but I remember smoking every GoldenEye FPS player the second they tried to play any other game...whereas all the other FPS shooters I knew that went to GoldenEye could hold their own quite well against "seasoned pros".

I'd be much more excited with a project like this and Diddy Kong or something like that with online play. Or some type of Paper Mario 64 MMORPG :)

Paul

24. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Um, you said Goldeneye didn't push boundaries when it did. It's not an opinion piece, it's a fact piece. GE singlehandedly kickstarted console FPS, and no game before it (no Quake, no Doom, no Duke) had different body parts taking different damage etc. The opinion bit was that you didn't like it. And fair enough not everyone did. The opinion bit we cannot complain about, or what nobody even brought up.

25. pcypert macrumors 6502

Well agree to disagree...there were other games before that with critical shots...heck there were mods in Quake and other games on online servers to do that. It was a breakthrough on the 64 for sure...but IMHO the lack of more maps, etc held it back somewhat. Maybe because folks were stuck on consoles a bunch they missed what had been going on for years on the PC? I just remember playing GondenEye on release day with my excited friends and being way less than impressed (but still logged many hours at different times with folks and still have a cartridge copy at home somewhere collecting dust).

Paul