Golf question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dandaman, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Dandaman macrumors 6502

Kind of a technical question concerning golf.

A co-worker and I were talking, and wondered why when you smash a nice drive, do you get sparks flying off your driver head? We figured that it's probably the titanium on the face impacting the ball, or tee in a certain way to initiate this. Is this just a by product of the material, type of impact, etc. Or is it something the engineers designed into the club. Like, is it put there to let you know that you just smoked a drive into the middle of the fairway?

Anyways, I searched on google to no avail, but if anyone knows, or better yet, has a link to a site that explains this, i would very much appreciate it.

Thanks

daniel

2. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

im a golfer too, and no, this has never happened. i do not think that is normal. this isnt normal. i have no idea how you are doing it. what kind of driver and ball is it?

by the way, i noticed u live in SoCal. so do i. where do u golf?

3. Dandaman thread starter macrumors 6502

This has actually happened to me many times, with a couple different drivers also. Right now, I use a Taylor Made R5 and I use various golf balls. My co-worker mentioned that it might be due to some dirt on a golf ball, but it's happened to me on the first tee with a new ball.

Maybe it isn't normal, seeing that I can't find any information on it, but it seems more than a coincidence that it would happen to different people many times.

I actually live in orange county. So I'm not too sure how familiar you are with this area's golf courses, but I grew up playing the La Mirada golf course. I also go out to San Bern. county sometimes to play. Los Serranos is a fun one.

I've always wanted to go down to SD to play some golf. My dad got to play on the Torrey Pines South? (the hard one) when the North course was too crowded once.

daniel

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

In physics, this has been dubbed "The Happy Gilmore Effect". It's beyond gnarly.

Attached Files: