Golf?

Discussion in 'Community' started by the_wallcrawler, Jun 29, 2003.

1. the_wallcrawler macrumors regular

how many of you mac heads are also golf addicts? i know i am.

i just bought the new taylor made r360xd driver. i must say it is wonderful. its very consistent and very long. i am digging it so far.

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

yeah I go all the time, but sometimes that damn clown on hole 5 pisses me off, always closing his mouth before my ball goes in..........hey someone was bound to bring up minature golf so it might has well be me....

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

awesome. yes. i love golf... just got back to PA from nyc... and was able to play 18 today. hit the ball well, but my score wasn't great.

so what kind of handicaps are we talking about?

i am basically a 10-12 i'd say...

i hope backdawg gets in on this.

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

golf == boring.

miniature gold == AWESOME!!!!!!!!

I love miniature gold. Great thing to do with your friends.

scem0

5. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I'm not much into golf, but I have a friend who really likes it. He plays a few times a week.

like scem said, though, mini-golf is always fun. :D

6. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

Absolutly love it. I grad school in NC, I played all the time. Since I moved to WI, though, I haven't been able to play. No golfing friends. I hit the range alot, which is a poor substitute. I used to be about a 14 HC, but I'm sure that not playing regularly has destroyed that accomplishment.

Anyone in the Milwuakee/Northern ILL area want to play a round with another MacHead?

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

miniature gold rules!

as for golf. you definitely seem like the kind of person who doesn't have the attention span needed to get good at something as time consuming as golf.

can't say i'll miss seeing you out on the course though.

foxer- you're right. the driving range really can't compete with the real thing... especially the ones with those crappy mats.....

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I like playing golf, but hate to watch it. It can just be sooooo boring. A lot of sports are like that though.

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

why, yes...

i love both my car and the sport... (ironically, my clubs don't fit in the car unless i put the rear seat down...)

don't have much time to play, though. :( still trying to break 90...

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hah. i've actually come to love watching golf on tv... got to go to the us open last year, was pretty sweet.

but i can understand your feelings.

jxyama- how long have you been playing? good luck cracking 90, it's a good hill to get over.... and then there's 80.... ;)

i set my goal last summer of breaking 80. ended up doing it about 1/3 through the summer, and broke 80 about 3-4 more times since (once so far this year)..

what are people's best scores?

76 for me. not the hardest course, but still. i was pleased with my consistency, which is always my biggest problem.

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

my best is, of course, exactly 90... needed a birdie on the 18th to get that too. (sweet 30 footer...)

my goals (for life... i still got got 30+ playing years left...) are:

1) a hole in one.
    2) shoot in the 80's consistently.
    3) shoot in the 70's at least once.

i've been playing on and off since 1990 or so.. but never more than 5 rounds a year...

12. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I haven't had alot of time to play in the past couple of years do to school. however, last week my hometown hosted the US Senior Open at the Inverness Club. I watched the final round yesterday, it was awesome. I wanted Watson to win. He was trying to win it for his caddy, who has ALS.

13. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

My whole bloody family plays the pestilential game, My brother-in-law plays off scratch and my Mum wins seniors tournaments, she bought a house that backs onto a course:mad:

I can't stand golf, and it feels the same way about me, it told me.

"Ruination of a good walk..." as someone far cleverer than me said;)

I do enjoy a good round of Tiger Woods 2003 on the PS2 mind:D

14. crazytom macrumors 6502a

crazytom

Love it, hate it...

I play most all of the time. I'm about a 10 handicap, but it's not showing this year. There's always something changing in my game to throw my score off: lately I've been spinning the ball back coming into the green, what was a nice 'one hop and stop' tapiin is now a 15-20 footer. I thought my game would be better than it is (working at a driving range and all), but if I had to break it down, my handicap(s) would be: regular round=11; tournament play=14; driving range=+2! :D

15. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I don't really play the game but my friend and I once took a golf class at our school because the school was offering it and we thought it would be fun. It was. :D

My dad used to golf frequently, but has since stopped because, as those who play the game know, 18 holes takes a good chunk of time. He was just to busy to get out on the course.

16. the_wallcrawler thread starter macrumors regular

i usually shoot low to mid 80s. i had my first two rounds of sub 80 this year, with a 78 and 79. i also almost had my first sub par round.....i was one under going into the last two holes (for 9) and i went bogey bogey to finish one over. figures. i'm thinking with this new driver i just got that i could go lower.

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i have played one set of 9 at even par 36... but that was a local municipal course... short and easy (though bad fairways/greens make it a bit tricky)... 2 birdies and 2 bogies....

also another round at even actually.. on the back 9. had gotten a 44 on the front so it was only an 80... hah. this was on the local country club course i play at usually.

and then in arizona a few weeks ago i was one (for the back 9) going into the 18th hole.... and i doubled it! i was trying to play it soft and straight, and ended up shanking 2 shots... hah. figures.

my goal for this year is to hit 73 or 74.... and to stay under 80 around 50% of the time if possible... dare to dream.

18. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

The only fun thing about regular golf is driving the cart.

And the few times my dad has forced me to go golfing with him, we have never gotten a cart.

Something about 'exercising'..... bah, who needs that? ;) :rolleyes: ;)

and your right jello, I am much too impatient to play golf. Maybe when i'm older.

I prefer fast-paced martial arts :)

scem0

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i used to feel that way. then i got better, and matured in general.. didn't feel the need for speed when i could drive a normal car....

20. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Well, I could understand that.

I can't drive yet though :mad:.

I could have my license by now (I could have had it in april :rolleyes:) but I still haven't taken drivers ED.

Oh well, I made some friends promise to drive me around whenever I want them to.

I might just wait till i'm 18 and don't have to take drivers ED and can go straight for the license.

scem0