Gonna buy an iMac - RAM suggestions please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Vinny, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Vinny macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy an 20" iMac for my family (4-5 users). Since it doesn't appear there will be significant updates to the iMac line any time soon, I will be purchasing tonight most likely.

Main functions would be to use iPhoto, iTunes, Mail and browsing the web. (We may get into home-video editing at some point, but we don't even have a camera for that at this point...)

How much RAM would you suggest? What configuration should I purchase with? 1 stick 512mb? If I get one stick, will the user-accessible slot be used? It would be nice to upgrade down the road if needed, but I don't want to open it up and void the warranty.

Is there any speed benefit to using both slots, or using aftermarket brands (Crucial,Kingston,Corsair)?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Vinny

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

You need to load up the internal memory with 512, that way you can add more later to the slot in the base of the machine. dont let them just throw ram into the bottom slot because then you will be stuck and if you ever open the machine to add ram you void the warranty. tell them you want that internal slot filled.:)

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Add a gig if u can. I have a gig on my 17inch 1.25ghz imac and it runs great

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Re: Gonna buy an iMac - RAM suggestions please

How much RAM would you suggest? What configuration should I purchase with? 1 stick 512mb? If I get one stick, will the user-accessible slot be used? It would be nice to upgrade down the road if needed, but I don't want to open it up and void the warranty.

Vinny [/B][/QUOTE]

Always load up on as much ram as you can in the internal slot. Be sure to look on the apple.com store and check to make sure the memory configurations says ONE slot, not two. That way you have the user-accessible slot available in the future.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

512 in the internal slot then you can allways add a 128,256 or 512 later to the user slot in the base. Osx needs 512 anyways so thats my advice.hope you enjoy it & good luck.

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

OSX doe not need 512mb , it runs much nicer on 512mb, but i tihnk the min is 128mb and the min recommended is 256mb ... everything runs well with 256mb but when i made the jump to 640mb it was a nice jump.

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Re: Re: Gonna buy an iMac - RAM suggestions please

Yeah, that's the key. Max out the internal slot, even though it's more expensive to buy from Apple. You'd have to pay labor anyway to max that slot.

Then later, when/if you decide you need more, you can add another 512 to the user-accessible slot, purchasing from a cheaper online source.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Just to stress what the previous posters said, you NEED to order the machine with 1 DIMM of 512 MB. The factory slot is not accessible (well, not very easily!), and there is only 1 user-accessible slot. Buy a stick of 512 MB SO-DIMM, non-ECC, PC2700 (DDR333) from somewhere else (Crucial) and enjoy your 1 GB of RAM in your new iMac!

And I don't forsee iMac updates until later in spring, so I wouldn't worry too much about iMac updates anytime soon.

9. Vinny thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I order my iMac through the Apple Store, with one stick of 512mb, which slot will it come in from the factory? Do I need to specify this somewhere or will they just put it in the internal slot?

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nope, when you order from the factory, and it says ONE slot, Apple always puts that in the internal one. Just make sure you specify one slot and you will be just fine.

11. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I have a better recomendation.

DON'T BUY AN iMAC.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Vinny has obviously decided he's going to purchase an iMac already, and is just asking about the RAM, so how about we stick only only posting useful, HELPFUL replies for him, okay?

I agree he should keep his options open, but I'm inferring from the way you typed your message that you're not a huge fan of the iMacs, and I can just see you waiting to start yet another bashing session on why iMacs suck, blah blah blah. Save it.

Vinny, just order 1 DIMM of 512MB in your order and you'll be fine. And for your family's use, you mentioned you'll be using iPhoto, iTunes, Mail and browsing the web. The iMac will be perfect for this, and has more than enough power to handle everything you'll need to do. Even if you get into video editing at some point, iMovie and iDVD will be great for your needs. And hey, now you'll be getting the nice new iLife suite as well for free!

Enjoy your new iMac - I bought a 17" iMac before Xmas myself and am loving it! It does everything I need it to and more. I'll be envious of your 20" screen though! :cool: