Gonna getta whoppin' with PVC pipe!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chacala_Nayarit, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Sicko evangelical fundamentalist trash! :mad:

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's amazing how people pervert religion and destroy children in the process. I recently read a book by Julia Scheeres called "Jesus Land, a Memoir"

Her parents were devout Christians but beat their two adopted sons to the point where they were scarred for life. The younger son had his arm broken by his dad. Julia and her brother David were shipped off to a rat infested "reform" school in the Dominican Republic. It's an amazing story of parental cruelty and viciousness in the name of god.

4. pdham macrumors member

You mean to tell me this sounds like child abuse? This has nothing to do with "Sicko evangelical fundamentalist trash!" as you put it, but a mother who clearly had the leaning to beat her children and used this book as personal justification to do it.

I completely agree, but the key to your statement is the word PEOPLE. It is truely amazing how poeple can distort there religion to justify horrible acts. But remember those acts are a result of clearly troubled people that use religion as an excuse to act, those actions do not condem that religion, they only condem the sick people that distorted it.
    *I know you weren't implying anything of that sort Ugg, it is just usually where these threads end

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I like that! Can I use it sometime?

Funny though, how the media finds these stories all at once. Doesn't mean they aren't truly out there, just that the media works in trends is all. Like religious people are best to take advice on discipline...?

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Sure, people will use any excuse to justify their actions, the problem is, at this point in time in the USA, religion is being used to justify a lot of ugly things. From the denial of reproductive rights, to gay marriage, to, well take your pick. If I accept your troubled people defense then that can only mean that there are a lot of deeply disturbed religious people in the USA. Why is that? Does religion act like a magnet to distubed people?

We've seen a number of horrible crimes committed in god's name these past few years. The proliferation of web sites like the one mentioned above only exacerbates the problem. Unfortunately, many of the "christian" criminals have been acquitted or handed lesser sentences. It's time this country come to its senses and stops advocating repressive and destructive "christian" values as a cure all for what ails us. People have the right to practice their own religion but they don't have the right to circumvent laws designed to protect children in order to appease their god. The website should be held partly responsible for this child's death. Only when those who are advocating abuse are held responsible will any justice be done.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

thou shalt not kill unless it's in my name, then it's fine and dandy. The edited commandment.

e

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Be my guest. :)

This may come as a shock, but the number of actual media sources is shrinking rapidly. Most of what we see these days, especially on the web, is just aggregation. IOW, you think everyone in the media is leaping on a story, when in fact you're seeing the same copy repeated over and over.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That guy who protests military funerals because he hates gay people (yeah, I still don't get the connection either) beat his kids so severely, they have permanent damage to their systems. Yet he was never convicted and they still stand by him, refusing to file charges. His wife too. It's all on his Wiki page. I can't remember his name at the moment, nor do I care to, but yeah... fundie.

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I'm not familiar with the Pearls' books or web site, so I can't comment on them. It is extremely troubling, though, that they've devoting so much time into giving parents "tips" on how to beat their children with plastic tubing that will "sting but not bruise." If that's true, they are indeed sickos.

I would note, however, that my parents used corporal punishment on me and my brothers when we were growing up. And by corporal punishment, I mean spanking with hands, a belt or a paddle. I don't believe that that's the kind of discipline we'll use with our kids, if and when we have kids, but I don't feel like my parents were being abusive. I think pdham is correct to say that the woman described in this news story is someone who enjoys beating children and was looking for some way to justify that behavior.

11. aquajet macrumors 68020

Rev. Fred Phelps

12. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I see nothing wrong with beatin a kid.

but "beatin" can mean many things.

Son, go fetch me a switch to beat you with. Comes to mind.

but so does a slap to the ass, a grab of the arm etc etc.

In my childhood it was mostly just really loud yelling that made me stop, and cry sometimes.

Parents have a right to discipline their kids, its how as humans we learn certain things. But it is also up to the parent to decide when/where/how they do beat their kids.

I dont condone physical abuse, but slapping a kid to keep them in line is totally normal in every sense of the word. Reward and punishment is how a childs brain, or an mammilian brain, works.

Within reason, beatings (harsh word for negative reinforcement) can be very useful.

sparing the rod spoils the child
    , is as dumb a quote from the bible as the one used by snake handlers.

Once a child can snatch the hand before they get slapped is the day you cant beat your child anymore.

13. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

For my Mom and me, it was the day that she had me over her knee trying to give me a spanking and I was laughing about it because it didn't hurt. And then she started laughing about it too. I still got punished, but it was something along the lines of being grounded or losing some other privilege for awhile.

14. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

F*cked up people do f*cked up things, no matter what the influence. It's like with games - for a game to make you want to kill people, you have to be screwed up in the head already

The comments about the woman enjoying the beatings tyed in with my first thoughts of this thread when all I could see of the title was "Gonna get a whoppin' with PVC" :eek: I don't think I need to go any further...

15. Chacala_Nayarit thread starter macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Sing along children:

Jesus loves me this I know because the two-foot PVC pipe tells me so

I deserve a beating until I die because my mom a ****wit xian this I know

Yes Jesus whips me, Yes that ******* Jesus whips me, Yes Jesus loves me.....

The fundies whip hard to death

Toby! Fetch me a switch to whip you to death so you can be with Jesus! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Living in North Carolina, I'm constantly amazed at the crazy stories coming out of Johntson COunty. It's like every inbred hillbilliy in NC lives there.

And you DO know that LBC is a satirical site, right?

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Leaving the religious bit out: I've never understood "beating" a child in the name of discipline. The main utility of corporal punishment is to get a kid's attention after the usual process of remonstrance(s) hasn't succeeded. But to actually harm? Leave bruises?

Pardon me while my old red neck lights up and glows...

I remember my mother making me go cut the "right size" of switch. She'd work my legs over a little bit. I'd scream and dance and yell and give a grand performance and it was all over with in about two minutes. Maybe a slight bit of red marks, but not enough to stay. I'd behave for, oh, maybe a week.

Then she had open-guilt surgery, and decided Talking To was better. Now, when a trained psychologist lays the words on you, I guarantee you that the switching was much, much more desirable. Guilt Trip City ws a terrible place.

Then there is the other side of this coin, where just yelling at a kid can be referred to the authorities as "abuse", which is total BS in its own right.

Common sense ain't real common...

'Rat

18. Chacala_Nayarit thread starter macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Yes, indeed, this I know.

Although the 4 year old getting beat to death is not - just thought I'd add that.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Thank you. That guy is sick. So are these people. But as I say, and has been alluded too, these people are just using religion to justify their sickness. I don't remember Jesus ever advocating beating children.

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Never said it was.. this was almost "local" news to me.

21. Chacala_Nayarit thread starter macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

Never said you did.

Now go fetch a switch John boy!

And tell Toby to hurry with his chores, so he can getta switchin' too!!!! :p