Gonna take the plunge....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Cheap-Chopstix, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Cheap-Chopstix macrumors member

I think im actually gonna do it....im gonna buy an apple notebook to be exact the 12inch ibook G4.
    I'm going to get my self a student line of credit to pay for dis baby and am gonna wait till it gets updated....i have time to wait and figure i should wait till they update it even if its juss minor bump. Hopefully it will be sometime in march or april.. Anyone know how many times they updated the ibook line last year and at what times during last year....juss wanna know for reference. Man im already gettin anxious.

2. tiktokfx macrumors regular

Do not get a loan through Apple if you have any other options, like your bank or credit union.

MNBA will shaft you on APR. I applied for a loan through Apple and was assessed for 25.99% APR, and I have top notch credit ratings. I said "no way" and went to my credit union, where I'm paying barely more than the ADVERTISED APR MNBA uses in the promos on Apple's site.

3. Dandaman macrumors 6502

I thought it was gonna be a while before they updated the ibooks. I'm planning on getting one tomorrow!! :D Can't wait.

Daniel

4. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

G4 iBook 14"933MHz or 12" PB

G4 iBooks are great. The reviews say the best value is in the 14" iBook 933MHz, not the more expensive 1GHz, but the 12" is good. I'm glad I didn't get the 12", too hard to read.
    Recommend the 933/14", order with BlueTooth installed inside (can't do it later), and Max Out the RAM (throw away the 128MB Apple gives you, worth maybe $25). I love my iBook 14" but I wish it was a G4 (Grrrr! Green with envy) ;)

Attached Files:

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

For the most recent updates check the Macrumors Buyers Guide. The last update was a HUGE one--up to G4 from G3. I suspect the next one will not be as substantial, as the iBooks are nearing the Powerbooks in speed. Perhaps when the Powerbook G5s come out, then we'll see a major speed bump in the iBook G4 line, but that might not be until the end of this year.

6. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I just bought a iBook 12" two days ago (my first mac). I got it through bestbuy.com because they offered 2 years 0% interest. That works out to under $50 a month for 2 years. I can afford that.

The bad thing about going through bestbuy.com is that you can't modify it from the standard options. At least I don't think you can.

I went with the 12" because it has the same resoultion as the 14" iBook, its smaller than the 14" iBook, and its cheaper.

Now I'm waiting for my sleeve, 512MB RAM, and AirPort Extreme card to get here this week.

lasuther

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Just watch out for Best Buy's loan shark. Pay your bill at least 2 weeks early every month and you shouldn't get nailed for too many late fees. They make it just a tad difficult to pay your bill on time.

8. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I have to agree with tiktokfx about MBNA. I have spotless credit yet they gave me a horrid APR. So I just went and paid it off as soon as I could... just did in fact.

9. Cheap-Chopstix thread starter macrumors member

I'm takin a royalbank student line of credit which is prime plus 1 percent. So its like 5.5 percent. I only pay interest while im in school and can pay it off anytime while your in school. Its like a credit card but with way lower interest. No way would I go the Bestbuy or Futureshop credit....they bite you in the ass if u cant pay it on time something like 33 percent apr. if u dont pay it off in time. Does anyone know how long it takes to get a mac ordered to canada. Or has anyone ordered from the Edu. bookstores from the colleges. The guy at my college bookstore said it would take at least 10 days minimum and quouted 2 weeks probable. Why does it take so long?

10. newt2mac macrumors member

You may want to check the ADC.. I jut did and bought a 2P G5 1.8

It was a substantial savings over the normal educational discount.. Check out:

http://developer.apple.com/students/sthardware.html

You pay 99 dollars US up front, and then its like 20% off hardware.. once in a lifetime though..

If it works out for you, you can buy me a beer...

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

the developers discount is an honest program that you shouldn't offer up to mitigate costs ... don't defraid a legitiamte program

I don't know the buyer but the way you presented it seems tacky ....

12. rinseout macrumors regular

I don't think ADC is such a great deal in Canada. I just priced out a 12" PB from my edu store and from the ADC store (combo drive, maxed the HD, added AE).

edu = C$2324
    adc = C$2138

for a grand total in savings of about $60 once the ADC membership fee (about C$130) is taken into account. That's enough for a night out or a nice bottle of whisky, but nothing to write home about.

For the iBook G4 (max HD, bluetooth, AE) line, the 12" is:

edu = C$1650
    adc = C$1561

which actually loses you money once the ADC membership fee is taken into account.

I have neglected any extras that come along with ADC membership, but if the point is just the hardware discount it isn't such an amazing deal and in some cases will even lose you money over going through a stock edu discount.

13. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

EDU takes smarts!

That's assuming someone is a student, you know, smart enought to get into some school and get this here EDU discount.
    But, I ain't too dumb to get into Apple's Dummy Club (ADC) aim I? :confused:
    After all, something could develope from that there membership. :D Do they give ya a membership card or anything for paying that ole fee, like a Apple?

14. rinseout macrumors regular

Re: EDU takes smarts!

The assumption "is a student" wasn't made by me initially; the link is to the "Student Developer Hardware Purchase Program."

15. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

EDU takes smarts!

Your prior post neither quoted, linked nor referred to anything. This thread initiated by a "student" focused on the "timely" purchase of an iBook, and incidentally financing through Apple. Insertion of anything other than an EDU discount is a side argument, and not on topic despite the "student" assumption. :p
    Are we having fun yet?

16. rinseout macrumors regular

It tacitly referred to the posts immediately above it. Anybody with a modicum of intelligence can see that, so I trimmed my post accordingly.
    If the originally poster is a student, then ADC may well be on topic if the student happens to be learning to write software. But the reason for my initial post was to debunk the notion that ADC is something the original poster should definitely pursue.
    Not especially, no, but I do hope these quotes have been helpful to you. Have a good night.:)

17. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Just set them up as a recurring payment on your electronic banking. I never miss paying on time.

18. edStar macrumors member

If you are a switcher, WELCOME!

I think its worth considering upgrading the Hard Drive to something like 40 gigs and maxing out the RAM. Airport is also useful if your college/university uses WiFi.

They represent really, really good value for money. Perfect for students, like myself who need a portable for word processing, surfing the net, checking email, running the odd Keynote or Powerpoint.

A good choice in my opinion.

19. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

That's too easy for Best Buy. You have to schedule each payment on their website (that is if you don't mail a check or pay by phone--$15 charge for that). You have to schedule 3 days before payment is due, not including weekends or holidays. It's a PITA considering every other card I have lets you pay on the day payment is due and counts it immediately. But I guess if you are giving people a lot of money for 6-24 months without interest you have to make money somehow--and a few $30 late fees over the course of a loan is probably very profitable.

20. Cheap-Chopstix thread starter macrumors member

qoute

I think its worth considering upgrading the Hard Drive to something like 40 gigs and maxing out the RAM. Airport is also useful if your college/university uses WiFi.

/qoute

I'm not going to get an airport card right away but i'm definately gonna get the 40 gig hard drive but debating on whether i should upgrade further and get the 60 gigger or get an external drive if i need it later.

I'm for sure gonna get 512 mb ddr ram and im not goin to get the blue tooth...dont feel the need plus dont have anything blue tooth nor plan getting any.

21. Opteron macrumors 6502

Here's a idea. If you don't "NEED" a new laptop, save up until you have the capital. This way you don't have to worry about intrest, and getting the payments in on time.

Problems: You don't get the laptop right now.
    You may not be good at saving

Good things: An update may occur
    RAM prices are ever falling
    You might be able to afford a better computer

happy hunting and good luck

22. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Bluetooth is the future of wireless communication. Don't leave home without it!

Two new capabilities available to Macs are too often being ignored and therefore neglected to owners' eventual detriment. Before you fail to order Bluetooth for only $50 extra (it can NOT be installed inside your iBook AFTER purchase, only outside as a Bluetooth USB Adapter sticking out of your USB port, and sometimes covering the other ports next to it, meaning you have to pull it out to use USB for something else - yuck!) :mad:
    please read this:
    http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/
    • wirelessly transfer files between computers — even Mac to PC — using the Bluetooth File Exchange utility. It’s even possible to browse selected devices and retrieve files remotely in the library, coffee shop, student union, anywhere Macs and PCs congregate! ;) Even sync files between your iBook and your iMac at home.
    • The Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Wireless Mouse let you take advantage of Bluetooth technology
    • Your Mac and your GSM/GPRS mobile phone and PDA with Bluetooth technology make each other more useful using iSync... If your Mobile Phone has a built-in Camera, you can use BT to download digital photos to iPhoto in your iBook
    • Printers, scanners, all kinds of peripherals will soon include Bluetooth capability :) don't miss out!

The other is FireWire800, which you can't get on a G4 iBook yet, but when you buy an external FireWire hard drive, consider the few bucks difference to get an 800 port as a good investment in future use since 800 is half again to double the speed of FW400. Eventually you'll buy a Mac that does have FW800 capability and you will wish your external FW HD could take advantage of the extra speed. :(

Attached Files:

23. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Re: Bluetooth is the future of wireless communication. Don't leave home without it!

Currently, my main use for Bluetooth is to iSync my iBook Address Book with my cell phone Address Book, which saved me hours of inputing names and numbers that I had already entered into Apple's Address Book. And, it's so easy to update. :p

Fry's already has some printers that use Bluetooth, one is an HP.

I also like to have Bluetooth because other BT aware PCs and Macs have to be close enough to see you and can send you their eCard wirelessly (which you can Accept / Reject). It is great for meeting girls. Hey, you have a common bond - love of laptops! :cool:

Attached Files:

24. gemio17 macrumors regular

if you can finance your new laptop thru student loans that would be the best way to do it- I wish I had known that I could take out money from student loans when I was in school-I could have paid off my cc debt and been home free..and not have taken that job at the call center..ugh..ohh well-next life right?? But seriously, if you're going to have student loans anyway -at least in the US I'm not sure about Canada- after you federally consolidate you can get a rate of 4% which helps out with minimum payments and overall interest- 2 or 3 grand won't make that big of a difference in the long run-and that way you can get a phatty powerbook :cool: instead of the iBook

the waiting for shipping has been worse than the waiting to make the actual purchase- I ordered my 15" pb on friday-my order update says it probably won't ship until the 25th :(

BTW- MBNA is terrible- spotless credit as well- they gave me 25%, that's the fastest I ever made a balance transfer. crooks.