Good 802.11g card for Windows XP that supports WPA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ravenvii, Jul 15, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm looking for a good wireless card (802.11g) for Windows XP that supports WPA. It'd be great if the card can be used driver-less on Windows XP (meaning, Windows XP already has the drivers to support the card). This would cut down on hassle a ton. Just plug it in and go, and whenever the computer needs to be reformatted, it would be worry-free, since there's no drivers to worry about.

Any suggestions?

2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

I don't think you are going to find a wireless-G card for windows xp that doesn't require drivers. The Linksys WMP54G is a good choice. I have one in my gf's computer and it supports WPA with the Windows wireless configuration utility and with Linksys's wireless network monitor so you can go either way. I found the Linksys utility to be more reliable than the Windows one, so your mileage may vary.

3. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

I checked the specs of the card, and it says it doesn't support WPA? (Maybe you were thinking of WEP?)

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Try the Motorola ones. I have one from Walmart in our DELL that was only like $39.99.

I don't think there are any cards that are driverless....most of the big brands have and need drivers.

5. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii