Good (Affordable) Text-to-Speech Engine for iOS?

Discussion in 'iPhone/iPad Programming' started by Bobblehead Joe, Jan 31, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I apologize if this is in the wrong section... I work for a company that has several apps for special ed students, and we're looking for a good text-to-speech engine to embed in them. I'm familiar with Acapela, but it seems ridiculous to me that they should get 30% of our profit when that's not the man focus of the app, and I like the Nuance Vocalizer but can't assume that our target market will have access to wi-fi in order to use it.

Any recommendations? Any help would be appreciated!

2. macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've used CMU's flite engine for text to speech synthesis. Open source licensed with an iPhone port available.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. We are currently using flite, but it renders slowly and sounds very robotic. It works, but we're really looking for something much more life-like.

Doesn't necessarily have to be open-source, I just don't think I should have to give Apple 30% and then Acapela 30% - seems a little ridiculous to me.

4. macrumors newbie

Good (Affordable) Text-to-Speech Engine for iOS?

Hi Joe,

I'm in exactly the same position... did you end up finding a solution?

I have asked acapela if they have a payment term that is more palatable for small developers, or hobby developers but I doubt they will be too forthcoming.

Regards,
    Dean

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

no, haven't heard anything. I'm actually considering hiring someone to develop my own text-to-speech engine, just to avoid the royalties. If I do, I promise to make it available for less than 30% of total sales :)

6. macrumors 603

My guess is that the amount of R&D that Nuance and Acapela have put into their speech synthesis engines to make them work decently is probably not peanuts. More likely many man-years. Can your app wait that long?

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

no, but we've got access to a guy with a crazy amount of experience... it's looking like a matter of months now, not years. still trying to find an affordable alternative though because he could be better utilized doing something else if we could just find a reasonable SDK.

8. macrumors newbie

I have asked Acapela how much for a royalty free licence :D

I would except it will be a lot though... i'll let you know how it goes...

9. macrumors regular

Gravity

Neospeech

Try Neospeech. They are about half the cost in licensing... but the drawback is they don't offer multi-voice options... YET.