Good all purpose printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by steve88, May 6, 2005.

1. steve88 macrumors member

Apr 18, 2005
    I will get a "free" Lexmark printer shipped with my new iMac. I have read here that the Lexmark printers are junk and the ink cartridges cost a lot. I will use the Lexmark until the ink is used up, then I would like to buy a decent printer that can print photo quality prints if need be. I do not want to spend much more than $200 US. Any choices?
  2. Danzsupreme macrumors member

Apr 15, 2005
    They dont advertise this, but i just bought a powerbook and apple is offering $100 off about 10 select printers, including an HP which would be free. I bought the Multifunction HP 1610 great machine was 124 and i only paid 24 with the rebate. Lexmark sucks, check the apple website
  3. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2005
    Take a look at the Canon Pixma iP4000 ($140). It ranked very well with Consumer Reports. I got mine from I have not had it long - but so far have been VERY impressed. Does a very nice job, in my opinion, with glossy photo prints and color/text on normal inkjet paper. There are rebates going on right now with various Canon printers. $20 off for printer. $70 off if a computer is also purchased (you may very well qualify with your new computer). I like Canon printers - use them both at home (S820, iP4000) and at work (S900 i960, i9100) and they are all excellent machines. The iP4000 does the best high quality photos of all of them that I have used.
  4. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2005
    i second the pixma although i have the lowest model ip3000 which works like a charm! look at canon!

lexmark is junk. i owned three of them in three years. two of them broke and the other one i still have but its pretty much going in the trash. the ink is way too much and you'll save money on ink with the canons. go canon!
  5. steve88 thread starter macrumors member

Apr 18, 2005
    Thanks for the responses, but the junk Lexmark is on the way and included with a package deal, so you can say don't get it all day long, but it is comming anyway, So, when the ink runs out or it breaks, whatever comes first, I will be replacing it.
  6. Danzsupreme macrumors member

Apr 15, 2005

Well if you bought a mac you still qualify for the $100 rebate. I'd take advantage at get a good printer and use the other as a gift or return it somewhere for store credit.
  7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005

I have to agree, I set up a HP with airport express, and it was HORRIBLE! I also used it over a wired connection, and on a windows (ew) machine. All three were just horrible experiences.
    I got a canon ip3000 on sale. Much rebateness, I think I paid about $160. It is SO GOOD! It makes awesome prints, super-fast print time, and works like a charm!
    The ink things aren't hard to refill, either. :D

but do NOT get an ink refill kit from stratitech. It killed my cartridges. I spent $20 on the kit and $80 on new cartridges. I called, asked for my money back, plus cost of ink cartridges, told them about how they destroyed my ink cartridges, even though I explicitly followed instructions. I was told I was S.O.L. (booo!!)

sorry about the rant about Stratitech. I'm on a little boycott, but do check out canon printers!!