Good Alternative to MS Word

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bosunsfate, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Bosunsfate macrumors 6502

Apple Works not good.

iWork...to expensive.

Anyone have a good altnerative on a student budget?

2. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Neo office is really good...if you have a ppc processor. The x86 port won't be out until summer I hear.

3. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Disclaimers: I myself would consider WriteNow running under Classic to be immensely preferable to Word. I'd almost prefer to do word processing from the open firmware prompt. And what I actually use is AppleWorks and I'm fine with it.

Having said that, though, have you looked at the free NeoOffice/J? It is way too much like Microsoft Office for my tastes, but it is commendably, transparently compatible.

4. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

It might help if you tell us what sorts of things you want to do on your word processing program. Basic essay/paper writing?

5. Bosunsfate thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi everyone....thanks for the feedback. Neo Office looks to be exactly what I was looking for.

On the use front...yea, I went there with my brother-in-law on this. He's the one who was looking for it.....his comment...I just need something like Office...no details provided...my assumption is that he's college studend...needs to write term papers...

So I pretty much gave up and decided to see what I'd find here. To my luck I think this will work for him....we'll see.

Thanks again
    bosun:)