Good Alternative to MS Word

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bosunsfate, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Bosunsfate macrumors 6502

Jan 20, 2006
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Apple Works not good. expensive.

Anyone have a good altnerative on a student budget?
  2. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2003
    Cambridge, MA
    Neo office is really good...if you have a ppc processor. The x86 port won't be out until summer I hear.
  3. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Oct 15, 2003
    Disclaimers: I myself would consider WriteNow running under Classic to be immensely preferable to Word. I'd almost prefer to do word processing from the open firmware prompt. And what I actually use is AppleWorks and I'm fine with it.

Having said that, though, have you looked at the free NeoOffice/J? It is way too much like Microsoft Office for my tastes, but it is commendably, transparently compatible.
  4. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    It might help if you tell us what sorts of things you want to do on your word processing program. Basic essay/paper writing?
  5. Bosunsfate thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 20, 2006
    Silicon Valley, CA
    Hi everyone....thanks for the feedback. Neo Office looks to be exactly what I was looking for.

On the use front...yea, I went there with my brother-in-law on this. He's the one who was looking for it.....his comment...I just need something like details assumption is that he's college studend...needs to write term papers...

So I pretty much gave up and decided to see what I'd find here. To my luck I think this will work for him....we'll see.

Thanks again