Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tveric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Hi guys, I currently use peak to split 3-hour mp3 files into 3 or 4 parts but it literally takes forever. Anyone know of a good app that'll do this quickly and not lose quality in the mp3?

thanks

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
tveric said:
Hi guys, I currently use peak to split 3-hour mp3 files into 3 or 4 parts but it literally takes forever. Anyone know of a good app that'll do this quickly and not lose quality in the mp3?

thanks

you could try audacity

http://audacity.sf.net

your problem is fundamentally flawed.

mp3 does not allow you to just.. chop things in half and get away with it like you can with a wav file. mp3 is encoded.. all the little bits are related. with that said your splitting using Peak is re-encoding that mp3 already. the mp3 has to be decoded, then reencoded after being split up into your parts. just the way it is man. mp3 doesn't allow you to just edit or chop, it has to be converted to wav, then reencoded back.

tveric

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
DXoverDY said:
you could try audacity

http://audacity.sf.net

your problem is fundamentally flawed.

mp3 does not allow you to just.. chop things in half and get away with it like you can with a wav file. mp3 is encoded.. all the little bits are related. with that said your splitting using Peak is re-encoding that mp3 already. the mp3 has to be decoded, then reencoded after being split up into your parts. just the way it is man. mp3 doesn't allow you to just edit or chop, it has to be converted to wav, then reencoded back.

while this may in fact be true (although I bet it's an oversimplification of the problem, I don't pretend to know for sure one way or the other), I'm just looking for the best app to do this, and getting some opinions from the Mac community at large. It seems to me that Peak takes an exceedingly long amount of time to accomplish the decode, split, and re-encode task - ie, splitting the 3-hour file into 4 parts can often take over a half hour! And yeah, I have a dual G5 with 1.5 GB of RAM. So, any educated opinions on better software than what I'm currently using?

Apple

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
If you have an ibook G4 released before september 04 then it should have sound studio on it. Not sure about other machines.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
How/Why do you want to chop this mp3 file? I know that I make custom ringtones for my Motorola Razr to save money instead of downloading them for $2.49 a piece from Cingular by opening the file in Quicktime Pro then copying the part of the file that I want to a new Quicktime player window and save it. After that I open up the Quicktime Music file in iTunes and convert it to mp3... then send it via bluetooth to my Razr...

Lemme know if that helps...

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
h0e0h said:
How/Why do you want to chop this mp3 file? I know that I make custom ringtones for my Motorola Razr to save money instead of downloading them for $2.49 a piece from Cingular by opening the file in Quicktime Pro then copying the part of the file that I want to a new Quicktime player window and save it. After that I open up the Quicktime Music file in iTunes and convert it to mp3... then send it via bluetooth to my Razr...

Lemme know if that helps...

This made me realize I could make my own ringtones with iTunes and Audacity :D

I opened Audacity, then opened some mp3´s from iTunes, chose the bit I wanted as a ringtone, then exported the selection from Audacity as mp3 (have to export even if it was mp3 to begin with), then put them in my SE i700 via bluetooth. Didn´t need anything other than Audacity.

I got some pretty funny ringtones :eek: :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.