Good Apps for a new Mac user

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jph99, Aug 4, 2004.

1. jph99 macrumors newbie

I just got my powerbook G4, and i was wondering what would be some good apps to download. I have always used windows, and am looking to really get to know the Mac well. If you could request some apps that would be great. Thanks!

2. Hawthorne macrumors regular

The first question is,

What work did you do with your Windows box? Games? Try the games channel on Apple's Quicktime site or insidemacgames.com for some ideas there. MS Office is available (and cheaply, too!) if you did general WP/Spreadsheet stuff, if you did PowerPoints, try Keynote instead. MUCH better. In general, though, for free/cheap stuff, I find I use iLife/Mail/Safari the most, along with Konfabulator (which is a must for any Mac-user, IMO).

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Do you need to do anything that isn't already installed on your Mac? There are a ton of apps on versiontracker but if we have no clue what you want to do, we can't direct you.

Konfabulator isn't a must for this Mac user...

4. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

Apps and utilities I use every day include Windows Media Player, VLC (plays media files), side track, Captain FTP, iStumbler, PithHelmet (Safari ad-blocker) and Wiretap. You can find all of those, at versiontracker .

If you do any video work, MorphX and Stop-Motion studio also rock. Enjoy.

5. jph99 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the feedback, i usually do a lot of things on the internet (ftp,ssh, remote desktop, etc.), i use MS office (which i just picked), most of my work is done online though i am an enterprise network tech at my college. i will probably also add the adobe produtcs, and dreamweaver mx. are their any fun usefull apps?