Good audio editing program

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by AlBDamned, Apr 3, 2006.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

HEy all,

I'm looking for a decent audio editing program for OS X. We're looking to convert some webinar audio mp3 files into useable podcast-esque stuff.

The recordings aren't the best quality so the program will need to sharpen the sound a little, edit and so on. Any suggestions, from freeware to pro software.

Currently, I'm playing around with Audacity and MP3 Trimmer but being freeware, both seem quite limited. Logic Pro is the obvious choice, right?

All suggestions gratefully considered. :)

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

Try Audacity. It's simple and free. (It's cross-platform too, and can be run from a thumb-drive - a useful tool). It may be too watered down for what you need, but then again, it may be perfect.

EDIT: Oh, nevermind.

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

Definitely don't need Logic just for simple Mp3 editing...

You could just use Garageband if you wanna go that route.

But,

I would suggest using Recycle, but I think that only works with WAV format audio..

not Mp3

If you don't need to sharpen the sound too much, heck you could just trim up the audio in iTunes.

get info>options>change the start and stop time>ok>advanced>convert selection to Mp3.

4. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Thanks guys. Audacity is working ok. It's not so much the editing though as the sound. The recordings were made on a phone line so there's a little bit of hiss going on. Neither of the freeware programs can clean it up.

A friend has Logic. I'm going to see what he can do with it. We're going to be doing a lot more online audio so it could make sense for a corporate purchase, even if sledgehammers and nails come to mind...

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i suppose you don't need to be told: there's your problem.

i haven't had much success with DINR, digi's noise reduction plug. it's supposed to be good, so maybe i just don't know how to use it properly. or maybe removing noise from a signal is just a difficult problem to solve.

good luck.

6. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yeah the quality varies quite a lot. On some of the calls it sounds like the people are 30 feet underwater. On others, it's useable, but the hiss would be better if it wasn't there.

The recordings and their scripts were never really designed for being edited like this so it's a case of working with what we've got. Seems to be a familiar occurrence...:rolleyes:

7. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    could also try a plug in app called "sound soap"

made by BIAS, it's a hiss cleaner upper.

there is Sound Soap 2 for around a 100 bucks

and Sound soap Pro, for a lot more than 100 Bucks.

Good luck.