Good bike for < $250 to ride to Uni

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sjjordan, Aug 31, 2005.

1. sjjordan macrumors 6502

I only live about 2 miles from school. It's a bit far to walk and with gas prices being what they are, I feel bad driving. Can you guys recommend a good bike for around $250? Wal-mart sells a $67 bike, but I'm sure it's basically "disposable". I don't want to shell out a ton of money, but maybe I need to.

Any ideas?

*Edit: Sorry, as soon as I hit the post button I realized this should have been in the Buying advise forum.

2. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

I was in the same spot as you a couple weeks ago. I went down yo my local K-Mart and got a Huffy mountain bike for about $90. Haven't had any problems yet.

3. Lau Guest

I have this, was about £250, so I don't know how much in dollars. It's a Trek 7100 and is perfect for what I do, which is cycling up a big hill to college, and then back down it again :) . Their mountain bikes were cheaper, but I had heard that the thinner tyres on this hybrid job were better for roads, and tis indeed true. I imagine it would be even faster/easier on a road bike, but I have to go up a slightly muddy track thing for a bit of it, so chose this.

[​IMG]

Oh, and I would advise seriously against any cheap supermarkety bikes. I have known a few people be suckered in - one guy ditched his after 5 rides because the gears were unusable and worse, unrepairable, and another friend of mine bought a £60 mountain bike from ASDA (Walmart) and a couple of months ago bought my 14 year old mountain bike off me for £35 because it was 100 times better than that piece of junk she bought from ASDA which was useless.

That's another point, 2nd hand is probably worth considering.

4. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Do not buy the bike from Wal Mart. You will have no support with it, and all the components will be ****. Look for a second hand bike at that price, if you have a local bike shop, take a stroll down there and check it out. For a decentish bike, starting price I would say is £150. You may have to up your budget, but it is worth it. Get me on AIM if you want more suited for you advice, or just post here.