Good book for getting started with Final Cut Express HD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chrispy, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I'm sorry if this question has already been asked as I didn't find anything in the search. I just purchased a MBP to get started with video editing for our company (we will also have a MacPro at work as well). I have Final Cut Express HD and was hoping to learn that before making the eventual jump to Final Cut Studio.

Is there a book that you all could recommend that would help me get started and show some of the more advanced features as well. My roommate has a set of books for Adobe Premiere and After Effects that include tutorial DVDs that step you through various projects to teach you the ropes. Are there books out there for FCE HD that are similar to this that you all would suggest I look into? Thanks for the advice :)

2. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

you could sign up for ProCare from the apple store and get 1v1 training in it once a week for an hour

3. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

The Apple store is a bit of a journey for me so I would rather get something I can sit down and read that is supplemented by lessons on CD or DVD. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

4. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I think the manual that comes with FCE is quite good

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

The "For Dummies" book is great. It doesn't come with a CD or DVD, but it's laid out very logically and with a nice progression from basic to advanced. The book not only covers the fundamentals but it gets into advanced functions later on. Another excellent aspect of the book is it gives solid advice for workflow by breaking down the four aspects of editing in Final Cut Pro, which if I recall correctly are ingest, cutting, finishing and output.

6. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

7. GlennPape macrumors newbie

Final Cut Express book

The Apple store recommended a book in the Apple Pro Training Series: "Final Cut Express HD." It's about $45. It comes with a DVD, but it appears that you need FC 3.5 to use all the project lessons.

8. Chrispy thread starter macrumors 68020

Chrispy

This is kind of off topic, but is there an update expected for Final Cut Express HD anytime soon? I'm using a pirated copy of 3.0 just to see what I think of the program and I want to buy the legal version this weekend. However, if an update is expected soon I may hold off for a bit longer. Thanks for the guidance all :)