Good buy on a video card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jscheiman, Apr 6, 2005.

1. jscheiman macrumors member

ATI RADEON 9800 PRO MAC SPECIAL EDITION Video Card, 256MB

I am interested in purchasing this video card and am curious what you think about purchasing it from a couple of online retailers.

I have found it both at Buy.com for $277:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.a...rm=10363495&Type=PE&Category=Comp&dcaid=15889

or Newegg.com for $285:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-387&depa=0

Are these places reputable? Anyone have any experience with them? They seem to have the best buys from the places I've heard of before.

2. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

NewEgg is definitely reputable, I've heard of Buy.com but have no experience with them.

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Yes they are reputable especially newegg.

As for that video card...

What system are you running currently running?
    You know it has to be a G5 right? And this would be a good upgrade over the FX5200 Ultra but probably not a huge increase over the 9600XT.

4. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

It's going to be for my new 2.5GHz G5. I am going to swap it out in place of the Radeon 9600XT.

I also want to have a 256MB card over the 128MB.

5. AstroManLuca macrumors member

The 9600XT is closer in performance to the FX5200 than it is to the 9800 Pro.

6. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I've bought from Newegg before.

Prices were good and shipping was fast and reasonably priced with no unpleasant surprises.

I have no experience with Buy.com

7. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

GO WITH NEWEGG.

I bought a Firewire/USB 2.0 card for my PC. 2 days later from ordering, it landed on my front stoop. Now thats what I call SERVICE! And this was Ground coming out of Ohio.

Newegg is frickin' awesome. Gotta love the egg. :D

8. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

you know that 256MB doesn't give you a great boost compared to 128MB right?

9. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

Even looking at it as a future investment kind of deal? I mean if it's not going to make a big difference in boost, I'm perfectly fine with gong with the 128 model. Save me a few bucks in the end!

I do not play games heavily, mainly will be used for audio & video eiting as well as large scale high intensive graphics.

I was just thinking this might benefit me down the road a year or two, but if it isn't that big a difference to begin with, I'd rather save the money to invest in other things!

10. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

OK, here's another question I have between the 128 and 256 cards. I see the 128 only has a bus AGP of 4x where the 256 has an AGP bus of 8x.

Would I see any improvements based on the fact the 256 card will be going into a G5 and it requires this machine, vs. the 128 that will work in either the G4 of G5?

Not to mention you get dual DVI ports on the 256 vs. a single DVI and single VGA on the 128. Is DVI not the future? Wouldn't I want two of those ports rather than one?

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

yes, 256 is the future if you make the plunge go for the gusto you will need it sooner or later.

12. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

There are more differences between the Radeon 9800 Mac Edition and the Radeon 9800 Special Edition than the difference in VRAM.

If you're doing video editing, and especially if you're using Motion, the Radeon 9800 Special Edition will make a huge difference in responsiveness over the 9600XT.

I have a Radeon 9800 Special Edition myself, in my Rev A Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5. I see the aforementioned huge difference in Motion, and in UT2K4 which is the only game I've had much time to play recently on the computer. The only downer is the annoying pitch of the GPU fan on the card. I am seriously considering modding the fan (there are numerous third party solutions out there, though they almost all block a PCI slot) or selling my card and upgrading to an X800. I likes my peace and quiet that much.

13. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I've seen tests that have shown that 4x vs. 8x makes little difference in current cards and games, however the newer cards (x850 etc.) may make good use of the increased PCI Express bandwidth. But I wouldn't make it a factor in your decision between two versions of the same card. Check out Bare Feats for some benchmarks and comparisons of all the Mac cards.

Not likely. But as previously stated it may become more important down the road.

You'd definitely want DVI, but do you really need two DVI ports? IOW, will you be using two DVI screens simultaneously? The vast majority of people never will.