Good cam for ichat av

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bunzi2k4, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

i currently use a labtec usb cam for ichat (using ichatusbcam) and planning for a firewire cam. my budget is barely large enough to get an isight so price is not a great factor... i've taken a good look around at firewire cams, but i don't know how well they compare... I currently have my labtec cam on a little stand where it is over my laptop screen, so something like an ibot would be ok. so what should i get? an iSight? an iBot? or something else?

what say you?

2. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

iSight

they look cool
    they are cool
    the work cool
    so they must be....
    cool

3. Bunzi2k4 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

isight

isight is the best one for you money. Yeah, its the most expensive, but you will see the quality.

5. woolfgang macrumors member

It's pretty simple, even PC World voted iSight the best cam for video conferencing. I bought a couple for family and they're great. Just do a Google and you can find comparisons. Pretty simple choice.

6. unixkid macrumors member

get iSight

Get the iSight its the best quality cam out. if u got the money GET IT!

7. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I'd say iSight too. Apple education has it for $129, they're on ebay for $115ish. I have two friends who have em, and the quality is simply amazing. I'm on the verge of purchasing one myself.

8. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Which cam for iChatAV - iSight is the best!

This is too easy.
    Paid about $100 for a FireWire Web Cam, no sound. Added microphone for $35, but sound was poor at best. $135 rig sucked.

Hooked up $699 Canon DV ZR70 camcorder with $150 shotgun mic, which worked great. Good quality picture and sound for only $849!

Broke down and got the cute, compact, well designed iSight with auto focus/light and dual microphone with background noise canceling technology - blew everything else away with best quality sound. Hands down WINNER! :D At $149 regular, $129 ED, the iSight has incomparable quality for a great competitive price.
    :p

9. Crikey macrumors 6502

10. fred_garvin macrumors regular

I've got a Powerbook and Isight. What web cam should I recommend to my family using XP? USB 2 would be best for them.

11. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Fender2112

Ditto for me. I have inlaws that use XP and would like to help them get set up with video chat.

Any suggestions?

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i used firewire target disc mode with my g5 and xp machine once and my isight signal was routed through and appeared on my xp desktop, so the isight will work with windows too, and with aim 5.5 you can chat back and forth.

iJon

13. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

iSight works on a PC; Sound?

iJon, I have read that the microphone in the iSight does NOT work on a PC and that a separate USB or audio plug microphone is required.
    What is that your experience with audio on a PC using iSight? :confused:

14. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

My big question here is...Has yahoo made it now so that iSight works with Yahoo Messengers video confrencing? Since i dont use netmeeting (*GAG*) and AIM's video chat is just starting to make it to the PC, the typical way i talk to anyone from family to friends with video chat is on YM. I know when iSight first came out YM video wouldnt work with it...has that been fixed??

15. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

MacRAND

Yahoo! video?

Well, I tried to check Yahoo! out by adding your name (uhlawboi80) in my Apple Address Book, then adding you to my iChatAV Buddy List, but nothing happened (so my guess that uhlawboi80 is your AIM name via Yahoo! was incorrect).
    My Apple .Mac AIM name is: randmacdonald
    so if you want to try Video Conferencing with me via Yahoo!, do it.
    However, all my MacBuddies use .Mac and iChatAV.
    Not one of my Mac/PC Buddies uses Yahoo! (I don't have a lot of friends...;) )
    One of my PC client's uses MSN, so I ended up having to download MSN software to run at the same time as iChatAV since I couldn't reach her via AIM (AOL & Mac) and it was critical for us to text. But that's where i have drawn the line, I'm not inclined to have 3 or 5 Instant Messaging programs running simultaneously with iChat/AIM.

Isn't it exciting to watch the growth of Video Conferencing on Macs and PCs?
    I'm now seeing lots of Video icons on my Buddy List of PC users, which are almost exclusively AIM.
    :cool:

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: iSight works on a PC; Sound?

ill have to check it out. i didnt play with it really, i just noticed windows reconized it to you very well may be right on the mic thing. ill check it out.

iJon