Good Cam!

Discussion in 'Community' started by coolocity, Jun 26, 2002.

1. coolocity macrumors regular

I'm looking to buy one right now. I really like the Canon ZR series but I've heard many complains about the hum. If that could be solved by purchasing an external mic, I'll do that, but until I try one out, definately not. I'm not looking to spend more than, say, $600, any ideas? What do you use? I'm interested to hear your answers.

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I vote for the camera with the cool infrared night vision (of course, I'd never suggest that you use that in daylight to look through people's clothing, because that's illegal :D )

3. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

what, what, what,
    you can look through clothing w/ infared, ive never herd thet before, and why would it be illegal, they are the ones going out in public w/ clothing on thet you can look through.:D :D :D

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

With regard to the camera, I have one word for you... Google.

On why it is illegal, legislators found out you could look at people, and passed laws saying that to do so was spying/tresspass etc... The manufacturer of the camera took it off the market shortly after that.

5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Here you go everyone. http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/GoodMorningAmerica/GMA010807Xray_cameras_hunter.html

So a search for X-ray filters + Sony. You will find plenty of stuff out there. Wow, 250 bucks, don't tell the Mrs, and have a field day. he.he.

mcrain, you should know that isn't illegal. The high court has ruled that pictures of people in public is allowed without there consent. Now, posting that on the net. Different story all together. Wow, That is just too cool.

6. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i could get my hands on the one george lucas uses!

7. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

menoinjun

A lot of cameras have problems with hum if they are connected to AC power. Just use the battery and that hum goes away.

I have the Canon ZR45mc, and I absolutely love it. The video is great, and it's very easy to use. Best of all, it's stylish and small. Sony's are great, but they are very big. If you don't have older Hi8 tapes that you need to play, then get a MiniDV camera. The quality of MiniDV tapes are slightly better, and you get a smaller camera.

-Pete

8. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i wonder if this would work w/ regular night vision , not cameras, just the goggles or scope or whatever

9. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

10. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Try the Sony DCR TRV-240, its Digital8, and you can use memory stick with it for stills. Its $600 and a good buy, cause tapes are cheap. Good luck!
    It has USB, Firewire, S video, and normal video inputs. You will need a 4 pin to 6 pin cable for the camera though but Apple has been shipping them with computers.

11. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

does it come w/ night vision;) :D :rolleyes: :D :D

12. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Why yes it does:eek: ;)

13. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

14. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

acrully a funny story.
    i was playing arround w/ my friend's night vision, now my bathroom was the only place where it gets compleatly dark, so i took it in there and i was playing arround with the scope, when sudenly i had an idea so as you can imagine i proceded to do my business in the dark w/ the night vision scope. the 2X magnifaction made it kinda hard to aim though

15. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Good Cam!

I have chosen the Canon XM1, it ranges in the Semi-Pro class. It has 3 CCD and optical image stabilization - the picture is great for the money. You can show it on TV and wouldnt really notice the difference until you are experienced. Of course it uses MiniDV and can out- and input DV-Material... only drawbacks: Audio level is regulated automatically (cant change that..) and... well...:eek:
    it has a filter installed that you cant use infrared light :( ;)

But the 20x optical zoom makes up for some :D

16. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

SORRY

:( :( :( This belongs to the digital cam thread!! Arn! Please undo!
    ARGH! Kernel PANIC!!!:eek: :confused:

17. Classic macrumors regular

XM1?

Hmmm...

I think the XM1 must be the European (PAL) version of the GL1? The GL2 has been released recently that replaces the GL1. I wonder if there will be an XM2 soon.....

18. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

19. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Man what has happened to the intelligent discussion we used to have? Now we talk about using the bathroom with your camera in the dark. Man you people are sick. Find something better to do.:p ;)

20. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

like its any worse that the intire thread devoted to pissing your bead, and it wasnt a camera it was a night vision scope:D

21. coolocity thread starter macrumors regular

pervs!

hehe, yeah, I just wanted camera advice, and you sick sick people are trying to turn me into a pervert...... anyway, I found a couple sites where people did experiments with the night vision / x-ray stuff, quite interesting. Nice results :D