Good camcorder for the money?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Studawg7, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Studawg7 macrumors regular

howdy, I am thinking about getting into some video creation as a hobby and am wondering what would be a good camera to do DV. being a student i want to limit the total cost, but try to get as many features as possible. What do you all use/suggest? Thanks for the help!

oh last question, can iMovie do 16x9?

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I always recomend the Canon ZR80. Its rock solid, good array of features, and costs around 350 at amazon. If you want something profesional, I have the Canon GL2 and couldn't be more pleased. Also, I have the PD-150 and think that though it also is amazing, it wasn't worth the price tag. Moving right along iMovie doesn't nativaly support 16x9, but if you shot in anamorphic (compressing 16x9 onto a 4x3 screen) I will edit and you can export the anamorphic movie fine. (BTW, the movie in my sign. was shot with the pd-150 just to give you some idea of the quality)

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Another vote for the Canon ZR series. Very capable.

But with questions like yours it helps to have a budget so that we can better guide you.

4. Studawg7 thread starter macrumors regular

cool, thanks for the recommendations! i will check those out.

As for a budget Chip, I am looking at spending no more than 800 bucks and that would be pushing it for me.

5. tamara6 macrumors regular

I bought and returned a Canon ZR65 last summer - indoor footage was terrible - lots of video "noise"

This year I bought a Sony TRV22 and the difference in indoor scenes is really noticable. I love the Sony, and I was really disappointed with the Canon.

A good place to go for info on camcorders is http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ They have reviews of many different models, and a forum where you can read what people are saying about whatever camcorder they have. You can even sign on and ask questions yourself.

No matter which video camera you decide to get, try to get it from someplace local, where you can return it if you really can't stand the image.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The $800 budget gets you a good range of Mini DV cameras. I will admit that I am partial towards Canon.

I believe that Penn Camera (800-347-5770) has the Elura 50 and Optura 20 at $499 or so. Great values in these two Mini DV's. They are a notch above some of the ZR series camcorders.

7. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I have a Panasonic NV-GS120 and it's very nice - great image quality. The image stabilisation isn't up to much though so you have to be quite steady with it. AFAIK the current lower-end canon camcorders still have that problem with recording the noise of the drive mechanism except now don't have mic-in inputs so now you can't avoid it.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

AFIAIK the Canon lower end Mini DV's have nor had an issue. The only issue that i have heard of is with comparing the "night mode" od Sony verses the Canon. The "night mode" of Sony has only been in BW, while the ow light nod of Canon is in color.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my girlfriend just got the Canon Elura 50 from best buy for $450, i like its small size and its got plenty of features for the price, you might also want to look at the JVC GR-DX 77 which was the other one we were considering, but the lower price and canon name seemed better for what we needed

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

The important thing is to buy from companies that you can trust long term. The best price should not be the only concern.

11. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Another vote for Canon DV. Been using the ZR70MC for over a year now. Just wow. Very intuitive and easy to operate. My videos came out good indoor and out, w/ assistance from good light source.

12. Studawg7 thread starter macrumors regular

seems like canon is a solid performer from what i am reading here and elsewhere. im kinda interested in the panasonic gs120 (anyone else know much about this one) so i will have to find a place here locally and start playing around with some of these cameras. i really appreciate all the comments!

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Where are you located?