Good Cell Phone to sync to OS X

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Flynnstone, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I'm in the market for a new cell phone.
    I don't want an expensive gadget.
    I don't want a camera phone.
    I do want a phone that will sync with my Address Book.

Anyone have an opinion? (almost a retorical question :p )
    I want range, battery life. I would like if someone calls me, I can add them to my address list via call display.
    Any features I should add ?

2. sixtus42 macrumors newbie

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

sony ericsson t616/610
    not expensive, free or even get some cash back on amazon..
    it has camera..so...yah.u can pretend that u never knew it had one...:D
    it syncs perfectly well with address book as well as ical,,all reminders and stuff comes on the phone too..

range will depend on your carrier..battery life is excellent. i get two days easily without charging...nad yah u can add the calls u get via display..

cheers

4. phillymjs macrumors regular

Another vote for Sony-Ericsson

I've had a T68i for a year, and it works great-- syncs up wonderfully to Entourage via MobileSync (another Salling product).

On Tuesday I decided to upgrade and picked up a T616, and I already love it. Didn't really want/need the built-in camera, but it may come in handy for something, someday. <shrug> The T616 works just as flawlessly with MobileSync and Salling Clicker.

I'm pretty sure the T68i is discontinued, but you can probably find one cheap on eBay. I'm keeping mine for days when I need to go places where camera phones are verboten-- just a quick swap of the SIM card from the T616 back into the T68i, and away I go...

~Philly

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Where have you found camera phones to be prohibited? I'm looking at the T616 to replace my current phone. (I don't need or want the camera, but this looks to be one of the best phones for iSync.)

BTW, congratulations on beating a spam faxer. I tried to get an attorney to take a case for me, but no luck.

6. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Strange, there was another thread like this a few days ago. And my vote hasn't changed! I say get the T610/T616. It's a great little phone and wireless syncing is awesome.

7. mrdeep macrumors member

Camera phones are probably (form my experience, definately are) prohibited anywhere you need a security clerance to be. This isn't a problem for most people, but if you work in one of these places, it makes a camera phone a non-option.

8. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

There are few places that don't permit camera phones...swimming pools and the like. There are some schools over here (the UK) that don't allow pupils to have camera phones - mostly because of the paranoia over here about paedophiles possibly getting hold of the photo's.

9. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Does anyone has some experience with the Z600 or T630 ?

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Now that I think about it, some museums require cameras to be checked at the door. Has anyone had their camera phone held by museum security?

11. DavidFDM macrumors regular

I use a Motorola t720c with Verizon Wireless. I haven't put the time in to figure out all of its features but in syncs beautifully. It is NOT a Bluetooth phone. It uses a special USB cable available from Verizon or eBay.

Best regards,

David

12. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

13. rogerw macrumors 6502

Z600 certainly do. really good. pics not as good as the nokia whotsiname but excelent battery life, audio quality, signal. slightly larger than some clamshells but not a problem. good phone better than all the other nokia's ive had overall

14. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I've read lots of good things about the Z600, as a phone and as a Mac syncher. Clamshell design is better than candybar because your screen is protected. Changable covers allow fashion or wear and tear replacement.

http://www.imobile.com.au/PhoneReviews/default.asp?ID=reviewsjan0431
    http://www.mobileburn.com/review.jsp?Id=492&source=SEARCH
    http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/review.php?reviewId=338

15. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. I ordered the Z600 :D Looking forward to its arrival. My iBook has no bluetooth so far. Is there another way then getting the bluetooth stick to sync them ? Or do I need to buy a bluetooth adapter ?

Thanks and cheers

16. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I am not sure for the Mac. Infrared is supported. Cable also but that might be costly as Bluetooth and more fiddley. Bluetooth adapaters are pretty cheap, just check for compatability etc

From the Sony-Ericsson site

Built to interact

The Z600 is ready to interact. Use Bluetooth™, infrared or cable to synchronize your phone with your PC. You can transfer pictures, melodies and themes from your PC to your phone - and back.

Connect your Z600 to another Z600 via Bluetooth™, and you can transfer files between the two phones. The content of the other phone is visible from yours. Just browse through the Melodies, Themes and Pictures folders and copy the files you want.

All set for Apple

Keep the contact and calendar information in your Macintosh computer synchronized with your Z600. Interact via Bluetooth™ and iSync, Apple's free synchronization software.
    iSync is provided by Apple Computers. The functionality is an add-on, and support is handled by Apple Computers. For more information about iSync please visit: www.apple.com/isync.

CABLE - There are two, but no specific mention of software/OS compatability...

DCU-11 specifications
    The USB Cable DCU-11 is an ideal link between your mobile phone and PC. The user friendly USB standard and the high data transfer speed, makes the USB cable a perfect tool for moving data between your phone and a PC, for example when synchronising your phone book and calendar. If your phone has a built-in modem, you can use the cable to connect to the Internet via your mobile phone, making Web- and e-mail access possible from virtually any location. The USB cable also features a charger port, that lets you charge the phone while the cable is in use, ensuring that you do not run out of power.

17. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Thanks. Somehow I hope the phone comes with all the cables. If not I will get the bluetooth adaptor instead of the cable.

Cheers

18. lwaa macrumors newbie

how can you synch with the T720?

I have a Motorola T720 with Rogers (Canada) and cannot get my G4 ibook to see it. I bought a connecting cable on ebay (specified that it was a T720 cable)and the phone bleeps when it's connected....when I unplug the cable from the ibook the phone bleeps too so I assume it's working fine. Isync just will not see the phone! Please can anyone suggest how I can get it to work!??

thanks!

19. msbsound macrumors regular

Vote for T720

I have been using the T720 with Verizon here in the Northeast US for about 4 months. Lots of travel, lots of syncing(via USB cable)to my Ti powerbook and not a hitch. I would give it an A+.

The big thing is that it DOES NOT have a camera built in, which was important for me.

My 2 cents....

20. msbsound macrumors regular

Isync->T720 Sync issue

Isync just will not see the phone! Please can anyone suggest how I can get it to work!??

I apologize for stating the obvious, but have you updated isync to the most current? Mine sync'd great. The only other thing I can think of is you also have to "add device" in the isync menu.

Launch isync, and it is the first item under the "device" menu. Hope this helps.