Good, Cheap Fun...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Squire, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Okay, we've all heard rave reviews of Halo, Unreal Tournament, and the like. But what are some good, fun games that don't require a dual G5 and Steve's bank account?

I've been happily playing around with Marble Blast since signing up with .Mac and Otto Matic is always a good standby. One other poster here mentioned the golf game on www.electrotank.com.

Are there any fun freeware or online games that you've played?

Thanks,

Squire

2. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Re: Good, Cheap Fun...

Look out for "Candy Crisis"... Really awesome game, if you´re into Tetris-style...

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Well, it doesn't really require a G5, but one cannot go in a "freeware" topic without mentioning America's Army. A full-sized FPS that won't cost you a cent. Great stuff.

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I look on Mac Update and Version Tracker every so often for fun freeware games and usually come away with a few fun games. I just downloaded an Uno game a few days ago, I tried Primate Plunge, which was corny but gave me something to do, I really like this game I found a month back called Lightning's Shadow, which reminds me of that old game I used to play with friends in elementry with the gorillas who flung bananas and you had to calculate the angle and velocity in order to hit the opponent. Besides that, there are 1000's of random games out there that cost nothing and aren't any larger than a few 100 Kb or maybe a meg.

5. kenkooler macrumors regular

6. Squire thread starter macrumors 68000

Squire

OK. Great stuff. I already tried Candy Crisis. It's fun. But I totally forgot about America's Army. That might be a bit rough on my 1 GHz iMac with only 256MB of RAM. I'll check out the others. Thanks.

Squire

7. g00bster macrumors newbie

pocket tanks is good, like that gorilla game, but various weapons can be used.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

go tohttp://www.macgamefile.com for all kinds of stuff. plus go tohttp://www.insidemacgames.com for more info. there are so many shareware and demo's i cant list them but we did just get Argonaut -2149 a asteroids type game free and fun. Pac the man2 is Free and its a pacman clone. its pretty amazing how much stuff you can get for your mac. UT2003 i think has a demo and if you turn things way down it will run on your emac. enjoy

9. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I find that UT2k3 runs pretty well with the settings at medium, at 800x600, actually.

10. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I find that Camper-Strike is quite amusing. It's a knock off of (you guessed it) Counterstrike.

11. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

The reason it doesn't cost you a cent is because its a RECRUITMENT TOOL. personally i would never play that game. but we wont get into that. heh

You can get the whole diablo battle chest thing for rather cheap now, or you can buy them seperately for a good price too, and all three games (diablo, diabloii, and lord of destruction) run well on lesser computers. I remember buying dii when it came out and playing it on my 300mhz g3. I still play it on my dual g4, great game.

12. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Of course it's a recruitment tool. Duh. That doesn't mean it's not a damn fine recruitment tool though!

:D