Good Combat Flight Sims?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Patmian212, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Hey all I am looking for a fun combat flight simulator that will run on my ibook. I like world war 1 and 2 sims but anything will do. I dont want anything complicated like flight simulator or X Plane where you have to do tutorials for 10 hours just to learn how to fly, it should be realistic but eassy to learn. Also nothing too old please.

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

The only two I can think of off the top of my head is F/A-18 Hornet Opeation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) and Warbirds III. Check out InsideMacGames

3. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Come one nobody knows one? Heres an example I used to play aces over the pacific and red baron a lot back in the day, is there a newer game along those lines out for the mac? Warbirds 3 is useless since everywhere I got to downlaod the demo it gives me an error.

4. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

5. maka macrumors regular

OSX SF1945 wMB

There's OSX SkyFighters 1945 from donsgames It's simple enough that it will run well on older computers, and it has an easy to set up multiplayer mode too (that I've never managed to really play online yet). It has some missions and a mission editor that can be fun and if you don't have someone to play with, there's the dogfight mode against 7 computer controlled planes...

It's shareware, but not expensive...

6. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Take a look at TargetWare. Similar to Warbirds, but a more active community.

If I'm not mistaken, you can buy an install disk for Warbirds, which may be a better option for you. Otherwise, it may be your decompression software that's the problem. I know Stuffit is dodgy...

7. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Looks SWEEEEET but would you suggest target korea or target rabul? Whats the difference. For now im downloading both.

8. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Korea is a Korean War simulation, and is a mixture of prop and jet fighters, with an emphasis on early jets. Rabaul is WWII, therefore only props and located in the Pacific theater. Distinctly different simulations, yet sharing the same game engine. I suggest you try them both. The WWI simulation, Flanders, also looks very interesting...

9. bgarry macrumors newbie

Try Battlefield Europe (or WWII Online as it was once called). I play this game all the time for the filght sim aspect. I do ground pound every now and again but I'm really in it for the air game.

There is usually a free trial (though it locks you out of many aspects of the game) but it is worth a few months of playtime at least.

Best thing I like about the game is that it is usually not twitch gaming, no UT or COD type run and gun stuff. No heals, no hit points etc.... The game is much more sim oriented and trust me, once you get past a relatively steep learning curve you will be addicted!

http://www.wwiionline.com/scripts/wwiionline/index.jsp