Good computer desk wanted; spine suffering

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Jun 28, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Well, I've been making due with a OfficeMax flat table for a while now and it's getting to be a bit of a pain.
    Sitting in front of my computer is becoming a physically painful experience. Now I know what desk fatigue is. I need to delve into ergonomics NOW.

So, I'm looking for a height-adjustable desk - pneumatic if possible -
    with a place for a monitor. I may eventually get a flat-panel display and put it on a adjustable swing arm mounted on the desk.
    It must be very comfortable. Also, looking for an outstanding office chair that is comfortable and will not induce butt and spine fatigue.
    I'm aware of AnthroCarts and have reconnoitered one of their models but man are they expensive.
    Can someone possibly direct me towards a cheaper manufacturer?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't know about the desk, but I did make sure I got a good chair -- so I picked up one of the Herman Miller Aeron Ergonomic chairs.

3. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I went to Walmart and got a wood desk with a pull-out keyboard drawer and such. It seems to work pretty good.

4. rastafari macrumors newbie

rastafari

yes. I couldn't agree more. an aeron is about 700-900 depending on setup but worth every penny. best seat ever made period. I sat in a mirra from miller once also and it felt quite nice.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

If you are using a CRT you may want to look at those desks that put the CRT underneath the desktop. Sort of like a "newscasters" desk.

For a chair you may look at those that you kneel on and your butt rests on on the backside (i know how this sounds, but I had no idea how to put it).

6. iGav macrumors G3

track down an old dentists chair, refurb it and attach displays and sh*t on to it... I saw one once in a magazine and it's the M'F bomb! :D

it still eats me up to think that a few years ago, a local reclaim yard had one for sale for months and then by the time I decided to go buy it, they'd f'in sold it. :(

7. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Herman Miller Aeron rules!!

Everybody should have one! It should be illegal to buy a desktop computer without also buy an Aeron chair :) :) :) :)

Seriously, I had been in a car accident and got banged up a bit and on top of the normal stresses of working at a badly laid out workstation, I could barely move. Faced with the proposition of my extended absence for recovery, my employer finally sprung for an Aeron chair, within days, I felt like a new person.

Since I was spending and equal amount of time in front of my computer at home, I had to fork over the cash for an Aeron for my home office too but it was worth every penny.

m

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I have one of those (your description is fine), but they do not help the back at all...ouch...

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks, never tried one. But I thought it was to relieve the stress on the back.

10. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Here are couple other Anthro-type desk places, but they are not cheap either:

http://www.biomorphdesk.com
    http://www.versatables.com

I agree with the previous posters: Invest in an Aeron chair. I used to get major butt fatigue until I got one. I bought a "Basic" model from Room & Board, and it's worth every cent ($629). You can buy the fancier models for more at this and other places. It doesn't do much for my posture, though, since I like to sit cross-legged and I'm a major sloucher.

I think maybe invest in Aeron chair, and then get a monitor lift so that your monitor is at the proper level. That should go a long way to reducing fatigue.

11. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

No, No, No, Humanscale freedom chair all the way, It is the next generation chairs that are f---ing awesome! Human Scale I have the task chair, also the have a lot of desk accessories.

12. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

O also look at this

Attached Files:

13. SkAlex macrumors member

14. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

I looked for a long time and compared lots of different options and here's the best, most ergonomic solution I found for the money:

Desk: The Galant series from Ikea. You can order from several tabletop configurations depending on your available workspace, but the standard (centered) Galant top is ergonomically boomerang-shaped and has the deepest real estate front to back to accomodate extra-large CRTs with plenty of keyboard space left over. Order it with height-adjustable T-legs. Price: $239.00

Chair: Herman-Miller Mirra. I've tested the Aeron and Mirra side-by-side and preferred the Mirra...especially the lumbar support and the lower ($100.00 less) base price vs. the Aeron. Price: $550.00

You can check out the chair's colors at: http://www.homeofficesolutions.com/mirra-colors.html

15. rt_brained macrumors 6502a

Attached Files:

16. Zardoz macrumors newbie

One of my buddy's built his own "standing" desk--a tall desk that he could stand at. He is a tall dude, so he was bent over the computer a lot. If you're handy with tools, this might be something to consider. Not exaclty my cup of tea, I'm on my feet enough as it is.

--Z

17. SkAlex macrumors member

18. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol, too funny. :D

19. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sounds good. Will look around eBay for maybe a used Herman Miller Aeron.

20. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Might be worth cozying up to someone in a place that supplies them to big offices too. I got mine at a reduced price from a place that supplies office furniture on contract to government offices here - the chairs come in different sizes and this one was ordered the wrong size or something or maybe it was a demo but anyway I got it at a really good price as compared to ordering in a new one.

Take care M

21. kucchi macrumors member