Good deal on dual 2.5 vs refurb dual 2.0

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cschell, Aug 10, 2005.

1. cschell macrumors newbie

OK,

So it's time. My G4 500 is just not handling my graphics work well... great machine -- too long in the tooth.

My options right now are as follows:
    - Floor model (open box) Dual 2.5 Powermac from local source -- stock configuration
    $2199
    - Refurbished Dual 2.0 from Apple Store
    $1649

I would be popping in an additional 2GB of RAM up front on either machine. I do mainly graphics work (Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc.) with the occasional video or garage band project thrown in. I'm hooking up to a first generation 20" cinema display.

So what's your feeling on the better deal? With the 2.0 I would have money for extras (possibly a Wacom tablet), but with the 2.5 I would have the speed.

What would you do?

Thanks!

2. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

I'd go for the 2.0ghz, and take the extra cash for extras (Ram Ext. HD) Pop some extra ram into that baby and you'll be flyin..

3. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

I agree when you take into account the money you will be saving the 2.0 seems by far the better option and it will leave you with some $£$£ for some extra bits like airport, and a better graphics card,

ShadOW

4. cschell thread starter macrumors newbie

another quick question

Also, if I did go with the dual 2.0, the newest version or the older one? Am I going to see any advantage for PCI-X or 8GB ram?

Thanks for your replies!

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You should go with the new 2.0. It will have the updated specifications. The 8 GB of RAM should have your Mac flying. I would also recommend AppleCare.

6. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Umm....., the new dual 2.0 maxes out at 4GB of RAM.