Good deal on this ibook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by joey4127, May 10, 2005.

1. joey4127 macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
    iBook G4 1.2Ghz
    12-inch display, 1024x768 resolution,
    256MB PC 2100 DDR SDRAM,
    30GB ATA 100 HD,
    DVD-CDRW Combo Drive,
    ATI Radeon 9200 w/32mb DDR video ram,
    Airport Extreme

What does 30GB ATA 100HD what is the 100 mean??

The price is $994
  2. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    That is full retail price (within $5, if you must).

ATA 100 describes the hardware interface type of your hard disk drive. Don't worry about it.
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Too little information -- New, used, warranty? From a authorized dealer or on ebay or off the back of a truck? US dollars or Aussie Dollars or Canuck Bucks?

Yer ATA100 simply means a normal ATA/ISE bus (100 MB/s). The drive is 30 Gb in capacity.

Since US$999 with free shipping is the Apple price for this identical configuration new, than if this is anything other than new from an authorized dealer you'd be nuts to take it.

If you mean "Is this a good deal for ME" then we need to know a lot more about what you expect to use the machine for.
  4. joey4127 thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2004
    This one is new from and no tax there
  5. rugonnaeatthat macrumors regular

Mar 2, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I'd wait, or buy a newly second-hand ibook. They are great machines especially if you have wireless internet around the house. RAM of course will make the biggest impact - I'd seriously suggest well over 512, the performance increase is huge with 1GB.
  6. aesth3tic macrumors member

Jan 14, 2005
    University of Washington
    But they do charge handling fees and shipping (at least when i bought an ibook from them about a year ago).

I would highly suggest ordering from apple. I have had better experience with them than macmall.

7. AdamH526 macrumors newbie

May 5, 2005
    One of these actually arrived at my house just the other day. I also got the free printer, free memory upgrade to 768 MB, and free carrying case (all after rebate of course). Shipping was also free with a rebate. And no tax. All in all, I think I got a pretty good deal! Playing with one of these today is also much better than playing the waiting game! :cool: