Good deal on used G4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by superbass, Apr 30, 2004.

1. superbass macrumors newbie

Jan 19, 2004
    Yet another G4/G5 question.

I have an offer to a buy used G4:
    G4 Dual 1.25
    1.5 GB RAM
    2 x 160 GB drives

Price: $1299 w/90 day warranty from dealer.

Is this a good deal or do I spend a little more on a G5? A refurb G5 1.6 for $1399 + 1 GB RAM will come out to $1600. (and some say the Dual 1.25 is faster). I figure I'll use it for a year, then jump to the Rev B G5 Duals.

I will be using it for Protools LE w/002.

Thanks for any input!

2. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2003
    Between a rock and a midget
    you get that G5, and tell me where i can get the G4 at. Seriously
    if you have the money for the G5 and are just going to replace it in a year anyway, the G5 will sustain value longer. I do want that G4 though. seriously, if you aint taken it let me know.

3. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004
    if your looking for a cheap machine to tide you over until the Rev B G5's come out, get the Dual G4. It will be faster in your usage (assuming pro tools is MP aware, i don't know). The system bus is the only hindrance on the G4, but if you plan to unload it in a year I doubt you'll stress the machine enough to notice. The G4's are also more expandable and I believe capable of holding far more internal storage, so you could concievably convert the G4 into a massive storage device for your G5 to use over Gigabit Ethernet :D.

o and i don't know of any application that is 64 bit, nor is the macintosh operating system even a pure 64 bit implementation in order to remain backward compatible. Thus the G5's aren't even being used to their full potential. Also as some has noted, G5's are floating point beasts (i.e. simulations and games) but in regular computation, they run close to clock for clock with a G4. Don't remember where i saw that though.

Dual G4. Do it now.