Good Deal on Vintage Products?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DutchApples, Dec 11, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Last night, I bought the following from someone:

15" Titanium Powerbook G4 667 (no battery but working)
    iMac G3 400 (Works but no Airport Card)
    Working Stylewriter II printer with cables
    Original Airport Basestation in box
    All original manuals/disks/and bunch of accessories like webcam, 2 chargers, etc.
    Imogea Zip Drive

Price paid: $100 total

Good deal?

2. macrumors regular

If you can put it all to good use – say a small, basic home office set-up (and you have the room to put it somewhere, too) then I'd say it's probably a very nice deal. I still have a G3 iMac that can be put to use on occasion, if need be, and I once owned a StyleWriter II printer and Iomega Zip drive (in fact I still have a USB version of the latter somewhere). Those were happy days! I can understand how some people get obsessed by classic cars. Apple stuff has a similar attraction to some.

One thing: does the StyleWriter have a serial-to-USB connector? My understanding is that these printers never reached the USB port era themselves.

When the Titanium PowerBook was released I thought it was a beautiful machine. It certainly set the tone for what would eventually become the MacBook Pro as far as its looks are concerned. I still hanker for one myself but have nowhere to put it and I already bought a clamshell iBook mainly for nostalgia reasons. I love my white MacBook but it's time for a Mac Mini, next upgrade.

3. macrumors regular

It's a good price. You will have some fun trying to make them to work. Toys for (big) boys.