Good deals on 15-inch PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Maverick, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Maverick macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I'm jumping ship from Windows and will be switching to Mac in the next few weeks (right after I sell this piece of Windows garbage). I'm really excited about the move, but my current laptop has me pretty spoiled. So I'm looking for something to replace it.

I decided on the 15-inch Powerbook, mainly for the Superdrive and the widescreen (both of which my current Windows laptop has). Problem is, I'm a college student and I don't have much cash to blow. :( I probably won't get anymore than $1000 for the laptop I have now, and while I'm certainly not expecting to find a 15-inch Powerbook anywhere for that cheap, I would like to know: Where's the cheapest place to buy a Mac?

I'm not talking mail-in rebates (because you actually have to make the purchase first). I just want to know the absolute lowest price I can grab one of these things for. If anyone knows where I can find a great deal on one, please hook me up. I'd be most grateful.

Thanks a bunch! Looking forward to joining the Mac community very soon! :)

2. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

If you're college has it's own Campus Apple Store thing (it will tell you when you choose your college in the Education store) they can have really good prices.

If not, you're best bet is either refurb (special deals section of Apple Store) or Educational Discount.

3. klyau6 macrumors member

just wondering...if your campus actually DOES have a campus apple store, do you have an idea of what the price difference is between going through them or buying w/ Apple Education discount? I ask this because UMD has its own campus apple store, but I don't even know how much they charge, etc etc. Thanks!

4. nuclearwinter macrumors regular

nuclearwinter

no ebay please...

Whatever you do, don't go to Ebay to get a great deal. I know some people that fell for a deal too good to be true. Ebay is full of scams on Powerbooks and Powermacs. I've seen ads for decked out 15" AL PB's for $999! Please, for the sake of Pete, for the Pete of sake, don't buy off from Ebay! :eek:

5. fussball macrumors regular

Here is the thing to do. If you are a full time student, you can become an "Apple Student Developer" for $99 a year. Sweet deal as you get all the developer's kits and such for Apple OS stuff. Furthermore, you get a hardware discount (only one-time though) It knocks about 15-20% off the price of a new computer, direct from apple. It is an even better discount than the Edu. Discount. Though, you do have to prove your student enrollment, and it is $99, but it includes a full version of Mac OS 10.3, too.

I am a student developer, and I am going to order a new 12" PB the moment they are updated. the combo drive version starts at 1,279. The 15 w/ super drive starts at 2079, compared to 2599 normally (so, adding in the 99 membership, you still save $400+ )

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

whatever you do, don't buy from a web site that claims to have discount of 10% or more...they are scams...always! There are multiple threads on this forum about the scam sites. Good rule of thumb...You will pay the same price from almost anyone unless you are an educator.(within 15 dollars or so) You should buy either from Apple.com EDU department, your local Education reseller, or one of the big names...comp USA, MacMall, Mac Zone, Mac Connection, etc. (some of these last ones are all owned by the same people. You can often times get lots of free stuff from these last three e-tailers such as memory for only an installation fee, free printers, software, etc., so maybe check them out too, but beware some of them require mail in rebates as well...read the fine print!

Side note: A just updated product can be a wonderful way to get a great machine for a great price. When a new model speed jump comes out, immediately check out the price of the discontinued ones for great deals. Refurbished products are a great way to go as well. I got my 17" imac for $550 cheaper from the Apple.com refurb link site.

Good luck, and welcome to the Mac world!

7. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Check out the UMD Apple store online.

8. klyau6 macrumors member

do you have to enter any special info proving you're a student developer? i was just fooling around with it and seeing what it would do if i went to the student developer store page, and i selected a powerbook and it took me all the way to the checkout/place my order page without asking for any info...just wondering. i'm sure it wouldn't go through if i did place my order, but i was just wondering how the general process went..thanks!

9. Maverick thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the great advice guys. :) Believe it or not I'm now actually debating on whether or not to forego the 15-inch Powerbook and just get a maxed out 14-inch iBook. I'll miss the widescreen display and the DVD burning capabilities, but I figure I can always buy an external drive later, and the iBook is MUCH cheaper.

So I guess my question now is...is it worth the wait to save up for the Powerbook, or should I settle for the iBook instead? :confused:

10. jad04 macrumors newbie

dev discount

klyau6:
    The order will process as if it's going through, however, it'll be cancelled within a day or so if you aren't a developer or a 'student developer.'

That said, it's worth it for the discount alone. Pony up the $99, fax in a copy of yr course schedule & student i.d., and be playing on yr new powerbook in a week....

11. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

amazon.com is now offering $100 off all Apple laptops, until mid-march or so...