Good deed rewarded on Oprah

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Deepdale, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Last November on Oprah's annual "My Favorite Things" holiday giveaway show, she dedicated it to an audience of vounteers who gave their time and effort to assist the devastated victims of Hurricane Katrina. One member was a man who forfeited his tickets to attend a Chicago White Sox World Series game, their first appearance in the Fall Classic in 88 years.

Yesterday Ryan Devlin was invited back on Oprah as she explained how his story moved many people, not the least of which were two players on the White Sox, Mark Buehrle and Scott Podsednik. This is how Mr. Devlin was acknowledged for his selflessness ...

1. jersey with his name on it
    2. special invitation to attend the upcoming Sox home opener and throw out the first pitch
    3. trip for himself and a guest to attend spring training in Tuscon, AZ for a few days to watch some exhibition games and also throw batting practice for the team
    4. special humanitarian award for his actions
    5. paid trip for himself and another person to attend the 2006 All-Star game being played in Pittsburgh ... and finally
    6. free season tickets to see the Sox play this year.

It was wonderful seeing his joy at being honored this way ... congratulations and enjoy it all. Well-deserved, Ryan!

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But we all know his audience eats stuff like this up. It keeps her popular, and I really don't know if she does it from the kindness of her heart or not. I mean, it's easy to give things away when she's not paying for it. It's very "Rosie O'Donnell."

I'm not doubting their good intention, but if giving stuff away didn't make them even more popular, I doubt they'd do it, especially if they were using their own money, or even the show's money. This stuff is given to them free from companies and such.

3. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

There is little doubt that favorable public relations is heavily involved in all these acts, but let's not doubt Oprah's motives too much inasmuch as she has done more to benefit others over her career than all of her competitors put together.

4. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

Yeah, and her browser is ugly as well. Not a patch on Safari.

:D

5. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Wait, wait, wait...
    Are you admitting to watching Oprah?

:eek:

6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Am I supposed to think that giving up World Series tickets equates to some sort of suffering or humility? Selflessness? Ha!

As selfless as Oprah airing his story.

God I hate Oprah. And her book club.

Bring back Ricki Lake!

7. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I suppose that's an indictable offense nowadays, too.

8. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

That's exactly what I was thinking. Surely there are people who gave up more to go help after Katrina (or just in general).

9. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I do not believe the underlying issue is whether what Ryan dd meets the level of how others define humility, but the fact that he responded the way he did to the events that occured in New Orleans and missed an event that he planned to attend has meaning in and of itself. He obviously was under no obligation to do that and while nobody would remotely equate his missing the game with the immense suffering of those who lost everything, it exceeds what many people did.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So what if "I gave up an afternoon of watching Oprah to go help victims of the most devastating natural disaster in US history." Surely I'd be the most selfless person of all, moreso than this guy.

I know he did something great, but I really don't give much credit to Oprah. Stuff like this keeps her on top. She's not stupid.

Probably, like policemen and such who risked their lives to help. The police probably had it the worst.

11. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I don't really like Oprah either. I just can't stand the way her audience reacts when she comes on stage - it's as if she's some kind of god or saviour. Ugh. I think it's good that people that have done something positive for humanity get aknowledged, but I just find the way she gives things away to be very pretentious and fake.

Mind you, I'd be happy to accept any sort of gift from her.

12. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

He gave up more than a part of an afternoon hour of leisurely TV viewing ... he loaded up a van with supplies, drove to NO and spent more than a week there helping in a number of ways.

No disputing the hardships they had to deal with, but the nature of that job will often require them to do precisely that.

13. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    everyone's a ****ing hero these days :rolleyes:

edit: not saying this guy didn't deserve it, but Oprah has a habit of rewarding average people and labelling them as heroes, thus lowering the already low standards of people today.

14. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Sort of like how everyone is an insightful ****ing critic these days. :)

15. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

There are worse things in life than making a profit off of helping others. Sure, she's no Mother Teresa but she's not greedy just for entertainment sake either.

Oprah has said before that the more people she helps, other than satisfaction, she herself is more successful and makes more money.

If I could start a business (not a non-profit) that I knew would help many people and still make me rich, I would do it in a heartbeat even though I would get criticized for making a profit.

16. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

She happens to be in a media field that brings tremendous wealth to those who have longevity. Stay in TV for 20-25 years and membership in the billionaire's club will knock on your door. I am surprised no comments have been directed against Howard Stern and his five-year 500 million dollar contract with Sirius for acting out his non-stop adolescent adventure.

I would certainly do the same and gladly accept the criticism while deflecting the arrows and darts coming my way for assorted reasons.

17. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

On this you're aboslutely right, Deepdale -- too few of us did anything substantial in the face of that suffering (and in the face of the suffering that continues all around us).

I wonder if it was the mere mention of Oprah that made me so simultaneously cynical and angry.

[​IMG]

See? Don't you feel yourself becoming cynical and angry?

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I would of rather have gone to the WS game.

19. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

The problems in our own country are substantial and many other parts of the world are in a truly abysmal state. I have a certain withdrawal taken from salary which is designated to go to charities of my choosing, but I readily acknowledge that I did not do anything that was unusual or extraordinary in the aftermath of what happened in the Gulf.

I agree with you that most people were limited in what they actually did or could even possibly be capable of doing in the face of such an event. There are too many catastrophes and available resources are strained enough. This is why when a person does something clearly beyond the minimum, I feel that recognition is justified. I know Oprah has her share of detractors, but she makes a consistent effort to use her international platform to better as many lives as possible.

20. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Just shows that white sox fans aren't dedicated like Red Sox fans.

Baseball takes precedence over everything.

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Damn straight!

Even though I usually dislike Oprah (or at least her cult-like following. She's like a female Steve Jobs!), I was pretty impressed when she ripped into James Frey.

22. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

For a moment I thought it was a cooking segment as I watched Frey receive a memorable TV roasting.

23. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

That's my job. :D