Good DOS/early Windows emulator

Discussion in 'Games' started by j_appel, Jul 17, 2004.

1. j_appel macrumors member

I switched over to the Mac a couple years ago, and I have some old DOS, and early Windows 3.1/95 games that I would like to play. Does anyone have any recommendations about what a good cheap/inexpensive PC emulator I could try out. Most of the games I have are from 1997 and earlier. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. vga4life macrumors 6502

Yep. Dosbox.

It's free - http://dosbox.sf.net

There's an OS X front end for it at http://sveinbjorn.vefsyn.is/radnor

Performance might not be acceptable with an older mac, but I guess it depends on what games you're planning on playing.

Enjoy.

-vga4life

3. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Anyone know where I can get Windows 3.11? I'd love to run it on my Mac for pure nostalgic value.

4. Ari_0 macrumors regular

Nvm that. Where can I get a Win 98SE emulator? :D

Comanche3 is a pretty cool game. Worth getting Win98SE for

5. j_appel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. I just tried it, and it works really well. I can play most of the games I had now. :) Some of them run really slow, but I do just have 700Mhz G4. But, it's better than nothing at all. Now, if I could just find a way to play a couple that require Windows 3.1 or better. Anyone know how to do that? Thanks.

6. Riken macrumors newbie

Mac-emulator

Is there Mac-emulator software that will run on a Windows PC and is affordable?

7. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Use Pear PC if you must.

Yes, there is one called Pear PC that is the first Mac emulator to let you run OS X. Actually run might be over-stating it. You would get faster speeds from a first generation iMac.

8. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I'll try to answer a few posts here.

You can find copies of Winblows 3.1 and DOS on eBay for under $10.

Virtual PC seems to run DOS and anything below Win98 fairly well. VPC might be better than that DOS emulator, but I don't know for sure.

There used to be some Mac emulators for PC, but I don't know what their status is these days; I haven't really bothered to pay attention to these emulators in years (I'm also too lazy to go investigate them now.). PearPC is all I know about know for PCs.

9. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Wow this is the first PowerPC emulator I've seen that is actually out. I've watched one on Emulators.com and they keep delaying it every year. It will be great when all the bugs are worked out on PearPC