Good download manager for OSX?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by vniow, Nov 30, 2002.

1. vniow macrumors G4

I've got some big (500MB) files I need to download on dial-up, I want to use my iBook cuz I can leave it on all night without keeping me awake (PC's too loud)
    My connection drops occasionally so I need one that'll pause and resume and all that.

Anybody know a good one?

Thanx.

2. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I'd reccommend iGetter. I'm not sure if Speed Download has a resume - otherwise I'd reccommend that.

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Be careful, one time, when I was on 56k, I got a download manager and started downloading a big file. Half-way through I stopped for while, and then tried to resume but I was confronted with a message that said "This server does not support resuming."

4. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i've been using download wizard for almost a year now and it's excellent. it's written in cocoa, has a beautiful interface, small screen realestate and cpu usage and can open multiple streams do download the file faster. i've found it to be great on dial-up (it does not make that much of a difference on broadband). it can be invoked through a service (select an address in text and automatically download it) and can take addresses directly from the clipboard. very stable and reliable (supports resumable downloads and allows you to start/stop/pause). i can't say enough good things about this app.

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

use igetter , make sure the file that your downloading is resumable. iGetter tells you wether it is.