Good external hard drives?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Eevee, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

I am planning to buy an external hard drive for my powerbook. The one I am interested is the LaCie d2 hard drive extreme 160 GB, which has firewire 400, 800, and USB2 connections. Is this a good external hard drive for a powerbook? Are there others to consider beside LaCie?

2. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....please have a look through this forum and the "product recommendations" forum...there have been several threads in the last couple of weeks about external drives....oh yeah!

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

FW800 won't hurt, but don't spend any extra money on it, because it won't be any faster than FW400-- which is still faster than the drive itself.

paul

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

The extreme version of the D2 does not have a USB2 connection on it. I have the 250GB version, that I use for video editing with a Powerbook and PowerMac G4. The unit that I have works perfectly, and would recommend it. The D2 LaCie drives have got a good reputation. Go for it!

5. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Have used that drive many times. Its really nice. Get one with the firewire 800. Will be better for the future.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I really like the LaCie d2s. I have a couple of them, 2 120s and a 160. I do read about a lot of problems with the larger ones and heat. But mostly in different LaCie enclosures.

7. budaapple macrumors regular

smarter move

In my opinion it is cheaper and in the long run more convenient if you buy a fw case and put whatever is on sale inside, once that is full you can either erase or remove it and replace it with another sale special HD. Tghis method I use all the time for archiving video. just my 2 cents worth

8. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Have used both the d2s and slim Porsche-enclosure LaCies. No problems with any, except the Porsche runs hot. Hot enough to wrinkle the plastic window on a CD sleeve... I don't put anything on top anymore except my coffee cup. :D

I don't understand the deal about the Porsche enclosure anyway. It's a rectangular box. I mean, it doesn't look bad, but -- it's still a box.

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I have a LaCie 250gig tripple d2 and its working a treat. A bit noisy at times but no heat issues.

10. Eevee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the reply! I believe I will get the LaCie hard drive with the FireWire 800. It cost more, but now I got $$ to burn.