Good first-person shooters?

Discussion in 'Games' started by falcoboy7, Apr 9, 2005.

1. falcoboy7 macrumors newbie

I haven't really played first-person shooters much except for some old games on N64 and few on PS2 and Gamecube. Can you guys recommend some good ones for mac? I don't like those spy ones where you have to be really quiet and sneaky, and I don't like ones that are excessively bloody.

Thanks!

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

That limits you to... about... yeah, Dark Forces. Good luck finding a classic Mac to run it on. :p

The first person shooter genre, by and large, has been either bloody, sneaky, or a combination of the two for years. Really the only FPSes worth playing in the last few years have been Half-Life and Half-Life 2. And they need a PC.

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I highly recommend the Call of Duty series. Great port to Mac, runs well, little or no blood, amazing action and storyline. :)

Also, a lot of games nowadays let you disable the blood.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Check out Call of Duty and Call of Duty : United Offensive both are great games that involve more strategy than simply running, jumping, shooting.

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Return to castle wolfenstein may also be of interest to you...
    Check out call of duty (as mentioned above). I think it is the ideal game for you.

If you change your mind about bloody games you should check out UT2004 it is a very good game with lots of action. And its teamplay even with bots is something that I think you would like.

One thing though. You fail to mention your system specs.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Unreal Tournament 2004! Great game! :D

By the way you can turn off blood there 2, but I dont see the point in doing this...

7. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

old skool but great storyline: marathon (free download)
    and
    Halo, i do only play this in multiplayer (on a pc) single player just doesn't do it for me.

8. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I would also recommend call of duty. If you want a challenging game, try rainbow six. Ghost recon isn't as hard but still really fun. Plus you can play those games online for free.

9. tinydancer macrumors regular

The Medal of Honor series is a great FPS collection. The online play is greatr and the character models look better to than do the Call of Duty character models. Can't go wrong with MOH. It's a couple of years old now though, but the price should have come down some. I bought this game when I bought my first mac a few years ago and I still play this game online 3 or 4 times a week in the evenings.

10. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I second that for CoD. There is blood, but it's not gushing out you like it does in Halo 2 :p United Offensive, the expansion pack, is even better. Medal of Honor is good too. I never tried the Spearhead expansion, but the Breakthrough expansion is pretty good. But personally I like the orginal MoH: AA.

11. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I'd also check out Close Combat: First to Fight. It's set to come out in a few weeks (after nearly 8 months of being pushed back). It's an ultra- realistic fps developed in conjunction with real marines. Looks so sleek. i caaaaaaan't wait to play it.

12. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, First to Fight looks nice. I almost got it for my Xbox.

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Gotta have these:

1) Medal of Honor "War Chest" (= Allied Assault + SpearHead and Breakthrough)
    2) Call of Duty, and COD United Offensive
    3) Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    4) Doom 3

Need a very fast Mac for Doom 3 though....

14. falcoboy7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I saw Call of Duty mentioned a bunch of times so I'll probably check that one out. Somebody asked about my specs so here they are:
    iMac G4 800mhz 256mb (I'm about to buy a 512 card to bring it up to 768mb)

EDIT: damn...looks like Call of Duty requires 867mhz (just 67 more! :( )

15. tykles macrumors member

Another great alternative from the whole military genre is No One Lives Forever 2. Funny, good plot development, I suppose there is *some* 'sneaking', but really fun. Otherwise, MOH and CoD are great choices.

16. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I second that, the Marathon series is great. Halo's good too, although IMO half the fun IS sneaking around, sniping Hunters and bashing sleeping Grunts and Elites in the back of the head. :D

Oh yeah, and Q3A is a staple. (just turn off the gibs and it's not too gory).

17. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

if I remember correctly, your model has geforce 4 MX installed. Well, I have played it into my iMac G4 1Ghz and it was just fine. It ran like a charm...you have to make changes to the graphic options, of course but it run ok in high quality settings at 800x600.

That is because the game is based into the Q3 engine. Another game wich should ran very well on you machine is return to castle wolfenstein. I would not recommend UT2004. Of course, for your machine Doom 3 is out of the question.

18. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

19. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I second that game, I love the way you can do WHATEVER you want but it is quite bloody!

20. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Halo is pretty fun.

Like what Hemingray said, you can sneak around and snipe sleeping grunts, and whack elites on the head! You can also shoot the marines and they will shout "traitor!" After that, you can kill them.

:D

21. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

He doesn't want anything too bloody.

Call of Duty should run very well on your machine. I ran mine on lowest resolution when I played it on my 800 MHz imac (I mostly use my iBook now) and it ran fine, and it still looked pretty good! It only got laggy at the Stalingrad mission with the dozens of soilders and buildings, but it got better once there were less soilders. I was very pleased at the performance.

22. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Why? I play this game, though I have 100 MHz slower G4