Good free anti virus? (for PC)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tech4all, Dec 22, 2004.

1. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    First off: I know this isn't a Mac question, but this is the only forum I know of that gets a lot of traffic at this time of night/morning. So bear with me please :)

Ok I have this Pentium 3 notebook PC (yea, yea I know :eek: but its really not that bad aside from the spyware and it having Windows on it ;) ). It's Norton AV expired a while back this year and I don't want to renew the subscription or update Norton since I don't use this laptop for much anymore. But I would like to scan it for viruses just for the heck of it. Can anyone recomened any good free AV app for PCs? I checked Google but I'm too familiar with them. Any info/links is appreciated.

LOL, as soon as I finished that paragraph, I got a notice from Norton that my subscription has expired in RED. Makes you wonder if these computers know what we're typing :rolleyes:

P.S. I did see something about AVG on Google. Is that any good?
  2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Jun 2, 2003
    round the corner
    Well I have AVG running on my PC and its not bad considering its free :)
  3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    I have AVG (Also known as Gri Soft).

Make sure you also have either Ad Aware or Spybot to clear out internet related crap.
  4. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    Grisoft is the company which makes and distributes AVG. AVG is great, until you actually have a virus. It tells you, then does squat diddly to help...

If you're running Windows XP SP2, go through the 'protect your PC wizard' whilst acting like a moron "How can I get antivirus protection?" link, and get a free trial of F-Secure. It's, like, 6 or 12 months, or something.

Afterward, buy F-Secure. It's well worth it. Seriously.

Also, Spybot is a piece of s**t. Just run Ad-aware regularly, reches the parts other anti spyware apps can't reach ;)
  5. purplehaze macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2003
    AVG for me. Couple it up with Zone Lab's free firewall and Adaware and you're sorted.
  6. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    If you are an AOL subscriber, the AOL 9 Security Edition is available with antivirus software (from a respected vendor whose name I forget). The antivirus software works independently of AOL. It is continually updated, again independently of AOL.
  7. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2004
    Near London
    On our Dell (virus/spyware free) we use Norton anti-virus/Norton Firewall and Webroot spysweeper
    Using these three we have managed to stay virus free.
    The beauty of using my imac is that i don't need to worry about doing virus scans (hogging cpu for ages), update definitions everyday (hogging broadband bandwidth) or experience any slow down due to viruses :p
    oh crap didn't see the free part of the title, zonealarm is a good firewall i used to use
  8. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2004
    St. Louis
    BonziBuddy has always worked for me.
    That purple monkey does everything for me. :p
  9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Well, AVG has never 'done squat diddly' when I've used it. It's removed most everything I've sent it up against (there was one worm it couldn't remove, and there was a freely available stand alone system cleaner for that from Norton). I would definately recommend AVG from Gri Soft.

Also, while I also recommend Ad-Aware, I would also recommend using something else with it, like Spybot. Ad-Aware is the best out there to be sure, but it WILL NOT REMOVE EVERYTHING. Several variants of the ROINGS malware app for one, is not even detected by Ad-Aware. Also, Spybot will run in your system tray and alert you when alot of things are being installed on your system. Ad-Aware's FREE version doesn't have that (the pay one does, though)... I am a prevention is the best medicine type of guy.

Anyways, that's my $.02...
  10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2003
  11. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2003
    free virus software

you can get a free online scan if you just want to scan once. It works pretty well - can clean some stuff and gives you instructions on how to clean the rest.
  12. tech4all thread starter macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    Thanks for the replies! I have both Spybot and Adaware on the system. But whenever I get rid of the spyware/cookies and what not they just keep coming back. It really does have a bit of problems with it, I may just do a system recovery or something. But I want to do a virus scan just to see if I got any viruses on it. :)