Good free burning software for DL DVDs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Taustin Powers, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I've been trying to burn a 7.8 GB dvd for a few days, but to no avail.

My system:
    iMac G5 iSight 17"
    2.5 GB Ram

Super Drive:
    PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K05:
    Firmware Revision: Q523
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
    Cache: 2000 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
    Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
    Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
    Media: No

My usual burning software (DVD2One X2) does not seem to support +R DL, but only -R DL, which the burner does not support. So I just used it to create a disk image (~7.8 GB). I tried burning that one on a +R DL with both Disk Utility and Toast 6 Titanium, but neither one of them would start writing the disk - "media errors" right away. I tried with two different disks, and the Mac recognizes them both as blank disks, so I don't think that's the problem.

Is there a good program out there, that can handle double layer burning in a reliable manner and supports +R DL? I'm tired of spending money on burning software, so freeware would be preferred. But I'm open for anything, as long as it offers a free trial or something, so I can try it out.

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Try Burn It won't convert anything, but if you have a Video_TS folder it will work nicely.

Have you tired iDVD? Open Project Info (View Menu) and change it to a Double Layer DVD.