good (free) Mail.app compatible E-mail

Discussion in 'Community' started by stoid, Jun 23, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I'm looking for an E-mail service that is (in this order of importance):

• Fully Compatible with Mail.app (I guess that means POP or maybe IMAP)
    • Reliable and speedy
    • Probably going to be around for awhile
    • Free
    • Big (25+MB)
    • Checkable from any computer with internet.

I'd get a .Mac address if I could for $10 a year without all the rest of the crap I don't need because I have a laptop. My college E-mail is a stupid student ID number thing and they take it from you after you graduate. (Once a Bearcat, Always a Bearcat apparently only counts in terms of me always being asked for money.) Again, those are in order of priority so if I can't get it all, I at least want the top three for sure. Thanks a lot guys!

2. benguru macrumors newbie

Spymac

Hi,
    I think it fits all of what you want. You should try Spymac. They offer 1 gig, for free, and it has IMAP. Hope this helps

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

From what I've heard slow as hell and unreliable, I wouldn't rely in Spymac.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Actually, I'd like to know as well. I liked Hotmail before I knew better because I could check my email from anywhere (I travel quite a lot for someone with no job...), even at school. But I'd still like to check my email using Mail.app when I'm at home, but I haven't even used the app because I can't check hotmail on it (yes, I know about the fix from versiontracker, but that didn't work when upgrading to Panther or something).

I think you can use Fastmail with Mail.app, but only if you pay a small fee each year. Not worth it if it ain't free, in my opinion.

5. rwclark macrumors newbie

fastmail.fm

All-around awesome email service. www.fastmail.fm. I've been using it for years.

6. therevolution macrumors 6502

Nope... IMAP access is free. The free account does have some minor restrictions. More info here.

I also recommend fastmail. Very reliable. I'm hoping they bump up their storage limits along with the big boys, because I'm actually getting pressed for space there. Gmail is cool, but I'd stick with fastmail if storage wasn't an issue.

7. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

I have continued to use my Hotmail account with Mail.app using the fix on Versiontracker...search for httpmail and it's the only one. The new update works beautifully on Panther!

8. purplehaze macrumors newbie

yahoo. pop3 access, reliable, free, 100MB & webmail.

9. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Do you go to a University? Most Unis around the world and specifically in US and CAN give their students 25-50mb as well as POP or IMAP access.

10. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

rihgt, but he said he's graduating so they take back his email.
    my school did the same thing, i have a forwarding alumni acct but no direct email on their servers.

one thing to try is your ISP, i get free email through comcast and it works great with mail.app
    if you know where you are settling its perfect!

11. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

12. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

fastmail.fm is very good, definitely check it out. They're lagging behind in the storage wars, but other than that, they're top notch.

13. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Hotmail with httpmail has worked great for me.

14. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

SPY MAC

their mail is pop compatible and has 1gb for free ;)

15. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

its always works for me they had server problems when they upgraded their sight a couple months ago and they straightened it out

16. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

I'm not getting hotmail. Period.

Yahoo might be good, I didn't know that they offered POP access.

I can't even get www.spymac.com to load. I was going to try it out when I heard that they had the 1 GB E-mail, but am so far unimpressed.

17. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

Note: When I say POP access I mean that I want the ability to check forward reply and send messages through mail rather than having to use their website.

18. vniow macrumors G4

www.macmail.com

It doesn't offer a whole lot of storage but its a good service. The only catch is you have to provide your own outgoing SMTP address, usually by your ISP but I think there's some sort of plugin on versointracker...

19. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

I use NetIdentity you can make your email address anything you want, i.e. stoid@imcool.com or anything you want, I have my firstname@lastname.com sorry I'm not posting it, the account is happily spam free. And it's only $25 a year for POP3 or $50 a year for IMAP. It's pretty cool IMO

Edit: I just wanted to mention that it's very reliable, I have never had a problem with it, it also offers webmail access if you want to check from a different computer.

20. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

well for my uni, all i have to do is pay a bit of cash and they extend the email for six years. ...$25 dollars.

21. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

wow, you're really lucky.
    i went to a small liberal arts school, they have enough trouble maintaining server space for the people who go there.
    sigh.
    its ok, i got past my .edu email withdrawal. i swear. :)

22. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Does anybody know how to set up a fastmail account to work with the mailapp. Also what is the difference between POP and IMAP?

23. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

Essentially with a POP3 account, your mail is stored on your local machine, with an IMAP account your messages are stored on the server. I prefer IMAP as it allows for more versatility for my purposes. I have 5 computers that I work on normally, IMAP allows me to keeps my mail syncronizes on each easily. If you've got a one computer setup, POP3 should suit your needs just fine