good free painting program

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by pdham, Mar 26, 2003.

1. pdham macrumors member

I need a good free painting program... or really cheap. I am a starving college student and cant afford illustrator or Photoshop.

Thanks

2. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

http://www.macpoweruser.com/idraw/index.html

dont know how good it is but it has a demo, it is about 40 bucks

BTW try your schools book store Photoshop might be really cheap since your a student (if its for mac there) or a program thats some what decant, might be worth looking into

3. pdham thread starter macrumors member

yea.. photoshop is only $149 through ny university (which is very cheap), however I will be purchasing indesign and dreamweaver (as they are more important right now) so I really dont have the money for photoshop as well.

4. ZeppelinArmada macrumors member

MacGimp

While it requires X11, and I highly recommend the Apple preview 3 (the current version for now), I have found Gimp to be a viable alternative to photoshop. It is absolutely free and can be found here: http://www.osxgnu.org/software/Xwin/Applications/

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: good free painting program

I wouldn't call Photoshop a painting program. It's more of an industrial editing tool.

Try a trial edition of Painter 7 from Corel. It is the best painting program on the market and it's a free trial. I hope you have broadband it's a large download.

You can find all of Corels free trial downloads here.

6. pdham thread starter macrumors member

Re: MacGimp

THANK YOU!!!
    I had downloaded gimp from there website, but with all the various things I had to download and then configure, make and build, I gave up because it was to intense for me to handle... I was not aware that a nice .pkg file existed for it.

THanks again

Paul

7. daniel77 macrumors 6502

omg 150 for photoshop :p :D :D :eek: :eek: i will have tu keep ur name for when i buy my mac :p