good, free photo editors?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Cosmacdewd, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Cosmacdewd macrumors newbie

I've got a beautiful picture I'd like to put in ppt for mac, but it's too big 3.8mg.
    Does anyone know a quick and cheap or free way to shrink it effectively? all I have right now is iphoto, and it only seems to let me crop, tho I do have fnl cut, cinema tools, a compressor, etc. Maybe the compressor?- tho it looks like a movie thing.
    thanks!

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

When you export a photo from iPhoto, you can change the format and/or reduce it.

3. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

A free "adobe photoshop" type program is Gimp.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Or if you don't fancy running X11 Seashore.

5. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I have both Gimp and Seashore and can't make up my mind as to which one I prefer. Is there any reason NOT to want to run X11? Does it use huge amounts of resources or something like that (I've not noticed any difference in speed or lag in Gimp/Seashore)?

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

One argument against X11 is the interface is different, so it "gets in the way". For instance X11 apps will have their menus in each app window, rather than in the menu bar at the top of the screen (the typical OS X interface) - so switching back and forth between X11 apps and native OS X apps can be confusing. Also in general the fonts may be lower quality (since X11 apps will usually be using the non-patent-infringing FreeType fonts), and the overall look is clunkier.

X11 on OS X doesn't seem to consume an inordinate amount of resources - certainly much less than X11 can on, say, a Linux box. So it comes down to preference.

7. djdawson macrumors member

djdawson

You can also use the "sips" command to resize images in the Terminal, as well as a bunch of other stuff. See "man sips" for more info.

8. Echoes1024 macrumors member