Good Free Text Program? (like Pages or MS Word.... only free?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Xander562, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Hey, i have a new mac but i dont have any programs to write papers on it. are there any suggestions for a free program?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You'll have TextEdit in your Apps folder which is a basic word processor - depends how 'fancy' you need your papers to be?

3. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I HIGHLY recommend neo office- it covers everything that ms office does, it's free, and it looks nice. :)

http://www.neooffice.org/

4. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

OpenOffice is good too. A lot of people here prefer NeoOffice since it doesn't require X11, but I like the X11 better as it is more up-to-date and sports a better interface. I personally use Pages, but I have OpenOffice around for the occasional spreadsheet.

5. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

vi and latex. Old school (and looks nicer for papers).

6. Frisco macrumors 68020

7. godbout macrumors regular

I would go with NeoOffice or Abiword. They are free and open source. Also, you might be interested in some of the other great free software for OS X. Take a look here:

http://www.opensourcemac.org/

Enjoy!

Edit: Wow that was a lot of replies fast! Anyways I would second LaTex (in the form of TexShop) if you are into that kind of thing... it is VERY valuable to learn and extremely powerful... if you are a physical scientist you essentially need to know how to typeset in LaTex.

8. zim macrumors 65816

zim

TextEdit, my favorite :) It uses the system spell check and dictionary. Has formating options, can open word, be used as a plain text editor for html, css, etc.. great little program.

9. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

NeoOffice is great. I have sent 20-30 docs to PC/Word friends with any problems.

10. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I was just about to suggest that.

Owned by Google, Writely is a web-based app for creating documents. It looks pretty neat, if you ask me.