Good Game to keep me occupied

Discussion in 'Games' started by persianpunisher, Aug 18, 2005.

1. persianpunisher macrumors regular

Hey, any good game reccomendations that would run well on the iBook in my sig? I am thinking Starcraft, Warcraft 3, possibly WoW? Any reccomendations? I enjoy immersive RPGs, Action and Adventure games, as well as the occasional FPS or Strategy. Thanks

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

All of those games should run well on your iBook. WC3 is a personal favorite of mine and you can get the battle chest edition for about $25 now, so it's a good value (3 games are included in the BC package).

WoW is fun, but a complete time sink, so unless you are unemployed or have nothing else to do at all, I would stay away... Starcraft was fun, but I was never as impressed with it as everyone else seemed to be. I like WC3 MUCH better.

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

mrgreen is right, WoW will ruin your life, if you have one. Think long and hard before you go down that path. I actually liked Starcraft better than Warcraft III, though both are great games, as is Diablo II (and expansion) if you haven't played that yet. If you want immersive, try Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. I had zero interest in FPS games before I tried this out of boredom, but it was a fantastic experience. Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Call of Duty are also great, along the same lines (WWII-based). I also recommend Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, and No One Lives Forever 2. All those Quake-III-based games from a few years ago will run very well on your iBook.

Now if you want something a bit different, try Clan Lord. It is a subscription-based MMORPG that I have been playing for over 6 years, no joke. The graphics may strike you as quaint or even hokey, but the game has miles of depth and a real community that few if any other games can match. It's currently Mac-only, although a Java version of the client is in the works. There's also a variant of it targeted towards European players.

4. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

Neverwinter Nights.. with both expansions.. very very fun.. apple.com has the game for 29.99 and the expansions for 19.99 each..

5. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

World of warcraft its lots of fun and will not ruin your life unless you have unlimited time. Thats one of the great things about it you can play for an hour a day and still get things done. WCIII is great but getting a little dated I really got into making my own maps. Starcraft is a classic I like the game-play better then WC III. In fact all blizzard games are great. NWN is fun but once you play wow you will never look back at it.

6. persianpunisher thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, I am starting school, so I may delay WoW until fall break. Where can I get the Warcraft 3 battlechest for $25? Isnt it like $40??!!!

7. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

I would google it. but see my edit about getting addicted to wow above. Something you might want to consider is getting some more ram as it will make all the games about more enjoyable.

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Hm, I remember buying it for $29.99 at compusa about a year ago, and coulda swore I saw it for $25 since then. I could be wrong, though!

9. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Well I know its $40 at EB Games here but then again its EB Games. I am sure you could get it for 25 somewhere.

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Starcraft and Brood War expansion - enough said. :cool:

11. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Starcraft is one of my favorite RTS games and I highly suggest it. WoW is good as long as you set priorities first. I also enjoy an occasional Unreal Tournament 2003 or 2004 round to relieve some stress haha. Those are the games I run on a fairly regular basis.

12. persianpunisher thread starter macrumors regular

What about adventure games like Dungeon Siege? Is that even for mac?

13. stutz macrumors member

Dungeon Seige was an underrated game. Worth the pick up, but not in my top 10. If you want an addicting game that requires more thought out strategy than fast fingered melees, then pick up Civilization III (turn based strategy game). Be warned that you will need a 6 week rehab program to break your addiction of "I just want one more turn before bed!" at 3:40 AM. Warcraft III has decent graphics, great sound and cinematics, but the gameplay is weak compared to Rise of Nations or even Age of Empires II in my opinion.

14. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

another vote for Neverwinter nights
    dont forget Baldur's Gate II and its expansion
    hmm KOTOR is a blast too
    Heretic II, Red Faction, Summoner, Jedi Academy, Jedy Outcast , and Star Wars Battlefront have their enjoyable moments
    for a complete waste of time that is nevertheless enjoyable try Postal 2 :D
    great for stress relief especially when you mod it so all the people look like your profs.. :cool:

15. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Its funny I just dusted off my copy of Neverwinter and started playing it again after years. I totally forgot all the story so its like a brand new game for me. :p
    Definatly one of the best games I ever played, extremely rich story!

Also does BGII run ok in 10.4? Someone told me it needed OS9 or something but he could have been confused with the original BG.

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I don't know about Tiger, but BG II runs just fine in 10.3.9. It's Baldur's Gate I that doesn't run under X.

17. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Geneforge 3

Graphics and sound are dated and crude by today's standards, but the game play and story are great! Try the Demo- it's huge. I've been on the demo for almost a month now (I don't play every day and like to discover everything in RPGs).

As far as FPS go, my all time favorite is Ghost Recon. Also love Call of Duty, Halo, Rainbow Six 3, Splinter Cell, and Star Trek Elite Force 2* (great game, BTW)

I've heard great things of WarCraft, and Medal of Honor too. I will try those next.

*Micro Center is selling it for $4.99 in Atlanta stores-check online.

18. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

as the soviets say, TETRIS :D

i love that game. I play it everyday on my gameboy color as a i watch tv / relax. There are so many versions available online / for download im sure you can find a perfect one ;)

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I recommend Unreal Tournament 2004- its a great game!

20. Maxicek macrumors regular

Diablo II and the Lord of Destruction Expansion. Addictive as hell.

21. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. Fun and FREE!!! I've burned many nights playing that game.

22. SurfAddict macrumors member

SurfAddict

Neverwinter Nights with expansions you'll be playing for a long time

23. Sundance Kid macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

no way lol.... HOW COME I DON'T SEE DESCENT 3 HERE?? god... com on guys! thats a freeking classic!!!

24. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

$0.02

errr....
    RTS: WarCraft III/TFT :)
    RPG: Diablo II/LOD :)
    FPS: Unreal Tournament :D
    you can ruin MANY hours with these three.....

25. persianpunisher thread starter macrumors regular

That is for windows, i am talking about mac OS X