Good games for iBook?

Discussion in 'Games' started by demonx, Jan 5, 2003.

1. demonx macrumors regular

Anyone got some suggestions for good games to play on the iBook? Im mainly thinking about when I travel wanting something that plays well on the iBook trackpad and all.

I got Warcraft III for my PC, but it also can be installed on OSX but it dosen't run all that fast on my iBook 800mhz and dosen't like the trackpad.

I recently got Black & White Plantinum additon for the iBook that seems to be ok, any other suggestions though?:)

2. Wren macrumors regular

Depends on what kind of game you like to play. Are you into RPG or Strategy? I did very well with Baldur's Gate 2 OSX version and worked fine with my iBook. I am currently playing Civilization 3 and Icewindale both on OSX. I am not sure if they have an OS version of Cro-Mag rally and Bugdom.. but on the 9 classic, they work very well. Hope you find what works best for you.

3. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I play all of those games on my iBook 800, and WarCraft III actually plays the best of all of them. Do you have the updates for OS X 10.2(.3)? I am really impressed with it actually. Try repairing permissions or something to get your machine up. I hope that you can get it going to your satisfaction.

Regards,
    Gus

4. ArtMan617 macrumors regular

All you need are some emulators and some roms (only if you own the games of course...heh heh). I would highly recommend MAME, the multi-arcade emulator (it supports Neo•Geo games!) and SNES9X, obviously an SNES emulator. Just slap on Puzzle Bobble, some Final Fantasy games and Galaga and you can play forever...well, maybe.

I also play plenty of Unreal Tournament on my 466 Key Lime iBook, but it's not too great with the trackpad...

By the way, demonx, what do you think of Black & White? I love Molyneux's work and it looks excellent, but I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet.

-ArtMan617

5. demonx thread starter macrumors regular

I owned the oginal for my PC and enjoyed it, its can got pretty boring at times but all in all its an enjoyable game. Plus tossing villagers around pretending they work for MS is always fun:p

6. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Artman is right. Emulators are the way to go for gaming. MacMame is currently my favorite with over 3000 roms available.
    Virtual Gamestation (PSX Emu) if you can still snag a copy, is awesome. Too bad it does not run in OSX.

Some insanely great games:

1. Medal of Honor
    2. Max Payne
    3. Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    4. No One Lives Forever
    5. Ghost Recon
    6. Bubble Trouble (my fav)

7. ibjoshua macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

Starcraft runs nicely on my 2001 iBook 500 in OS X.

And you may laugh but Lines is very addictive. (see versiontracker.com)

i_b_joshua

8. Steradian macrumors 6502

well

i love playing quake 3 on my schools ibooks when i am done creating my web sites for history.

I wouldn't even try to play RTCW on you ibook, my Pbook looks ify.. it's nice but in the single player game it will slow down to a stuter every once and a while. In the demo it's fine though. :) happy hunting

9. job macrumors 68040

job

Re: well

You mean the original MP demo?

It was written in Cocoa. :D :p

10. alset macrumors 65816

alset

It isn't a trackpad game, but I would recommend GLTron to anyone who wants a fast paced arcade game. It's a simple, but fun racing game, based on the moive Tron and the scene with the speeder bikes. Find it on Version Tracker.

Dan

11. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Are you a mac racer?

I highly recommend WipeOut 2097. Any iBook would run this futuristic racing game fast enough as it is based on a PlayStation era graphics engine. The controls work great with the keyboard but it might take you a while to master controlling the crafts in the game (they hover and they go very fast). For quick games on the road this is a great action-packed title.