Good headphones to replace iPod earbuds

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by applekid, Nov 21, 2004.

1. macrumors 68020

My iPod earbuds have pretty much worn out. Where the two earbud wires meet the headphone wire, the outside white rubber shielding has come apart. The wires look frayed, yet the sound is still clear as it was before.

I'd like to find a good pair of headphones to replace my worn out earbuds. Anything under $50, with sound quality that is equal to or better than the iPod earbuds and fits in my pocket (whether it's earbuds, earclips. Just not anything that hangs on to your head) iis good to me. Of course, something durable would be a big plus.

2. macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I highly recommend these. I have them in black, and their sound quality is leaps and bounds above the stock iPod headphones. No sound leakage, and the bass is deep and pounding. They also come with a cool carry case.

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

Holy cow! Those are hot! :eek:

I think my search can end already. Thanks! :)

(More suggestions are welcomed, still. But, it's going to be hard to justify anything else now.)

4. macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

5. macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

Sony MDR-EX71

I'll second that recommendation of the Sony 71's. The price/performance ratio was good for me, they're comfy and hard-wearing - I lost the carry case, so they just bundle along in my pocket when not in use :)
    (The choice of white or black is good too - for apeing the ear-buds, or going incognito :p )

6. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I like the apple in ear's, they look pretty similar to the sony's.

7. macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, but I've heard that they slip out of your ear. The cone shaped "in-ear" part doesn't hold very securely in your ear.

8. macrumors 68030

superbovine

9. macrumors newbie

10. macrumors 68040

JFreak

if the budget can be extended, take a look at shure E2 earphones. they have a killer sound and replaceable generic silicon earpieces of three different sizes. they don't fall of one's ear for s(h)ure ;D

11. macrumors 65816

devman

etymotic

etymotic 4p - if you can afford them. If not, the 6i model is good value for the quality.

12. macrumors member

For earclips, check out the Koss KSC 35/50/75 (I own the 50). For only $20 they have excelent sound, and are probably the best you can do under $50 for that type of headphone. Careful with canalphones like the EX71, buy them from somewhere you can return them open, because some people find them too uncomfortable after a while.

13. macrumors 65816

mfacey

I have a set of Sony EX 71s and they're awesome! I managed to get white ones from a site that specializes on audio equipment from Japan. http://www.audiocubes.com/ check it out!

14. macrumors member

MDRV250

So I've been through three sets of headphones since I purchases my iPod before summer....the MDR-v250 are the latest for me, and they are excellent. They aren't too big, and yield great sound. But not so much noise-cancelling....I got mine for $39 US.

15. macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I may have to pick a pair of these up. Do the slip out of your ear at all?

16. macrumors 6502

Check out the Shure line of headphones. I tried them out recently and was blown away. The E5's are the best in ears I've ever heard, but they're way too pricey for a regular music listener. The E2's and E3's sound great as well.

17. macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

nope, i have these too. They were a bit steap when i got them. £35 over here in the uk, but now you can get them on amazon for £20 so its worth shopping around. They are really good, i 've had loads of earphones over the years and have managed to destroy all of them within about 6 months. But not these! honestly, when i got them i thought that they wouldn't last long, theyre made out of soft plastic and i thought that they would just break too quick, they sounded good but i didn't think they'd last.

cut to 3 years later and they're still going strong!

if they broke or i lost them :( then i'd definately buy them again :)

18. macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I'm not sure what style you're looking for but Sennheiser PX200's kill everything as far as portables go.

19. thread starter macrumors 68020

My sister bought me a pair of black Fontopia headphones at a Sony outlet in Pennsylvania for $40! I'll be getting them on Christmas though :( But at least I'm getting them! :)

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I may post a small review sometime.

20. macrumors 6502

I got the Bang & Olufsen A8 Earphones for my iPod mini. They're awesome, I highly recommend them. The Apple Store added them recently, they're $159. I paid $172 for mine a couple of months ago.

They're definitely worth the price. :D

Link

21. macrumors newbie

22. macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

i went to the apple store on regent street (again) :rolleyes: and listened to all the earphones on display:D:D the most expensive sennheiser headphones, they were £279!! but they sounded awesome. The noise cancelling white noise type feature thing is very cool, big headphones to lug around but astounding sound quality! they don't have the shure ones there cos of hygene reasons etc. But i'd love to hear some of those too.

23. macrumors 68040

XIII

ex81's... in white, just realeased. The new version of the ex71's. I have the ex71's but I would advice you to get the 81's, as reviews say the sound better.

24. macrumors 6502

phreakout13

The apple in-ears really aren't that bad. They won't slip out of your ears easily unless you run and such with them on. Plus, they're $10 less than those sony ones, and they have different sized rubbery things. I love mine, but that's just me.

25. macrumors 6502

i bought the apple in ear and i love them. so comfortable and sound great. not to mention cancel so much outside noise. They just are tricky to learn how to insert right.. its kinda unexpected how far they go in.