Good Headphones?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MrCommunistGen, Jan 11, 2005.

1. MrCommunistGen macrumors regular

MrCommunistGen

i'm looking for recommendations for a pair of GOOD headphones, preferably not the really big, cover-your-whole-ear-and-half-your-head, headphones that make you look like Princess Leiah from Star Wars. :p I'll be using them with my iPod and iMac. I used to have a pretty good pair of (surprisingly cheap) fold-up Panasonics that I accidentally broke and then lost. For a while I was looking into some semi-expensive Sony earbuds, but I'm not happy with the big Sony's I'm using rigt now as a holdover. I'd like good bass, but overall fidelity is very important to me too. I found a pair of JVC's with good bass, but everything else sounded lousy so I returned them. I know that a lot of this is based on personal preference, but I've found that the frequency range on headphone packaging to be deceptive when compared to that of high end speakers...

Thanks for any help!

BTW I'm hoping to spend no more than $70... and less would definately be better in my book.

-mcg

2. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

I know it's not quite in your price range, but I swear by the Etymotic Research ER-6i's. They are pure bliss. Check them out!

3. Apple!Freak macrumors 6502a

Apple!Freak

The ER-6i's are pretty good. You can find them for $117.98 from Earsonic. Check out Head-Fi.org for more Audiophile information. :)

4. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

Sennheiser PX200's are fold-up, on-the-ear type. I think they're around 40 bucks and they sound fantastic.

If you want earbud style, Sony Fontopia XXX71 are great and have awesome, deep bass. They hold in your ear really well but the only problem I have with them is that the cord is unorthodox. It's really short but comes with a too-long extension cable.

http://www.headphone.com offers some great suggestions as well.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i second the sennheiser px 200s, unfortunately i broke mine i stepped on them and they came apart hehe

6. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

yea, i agree about the sony's. i actually bought a pair and they sounded great but that cord is the most ignorantly designed thing ever. it was always ripping out of my left ear and stuff. i returned it because it ticked me off so much. but if you can get past the cord crap, then the sony buds are a great way to go.