Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
I'm looking into a good pair of speakers to hook up to the EyeHome in my bedroom. I'd like to pick up a good pair of speakers with decent bass response. At my office, I have a pair of Behringer B2030A active studio monitors (with built-in amplifiers) that sound great, so I was considering picking up a pair of the less expensive ($119 + shipping) B2030P monitors for home. I have an old (circa 1970s) Pioneer stereo amplifier (SA-6500) that I would like to use to drive these. My concern is whether the amplifier will be powerful enough (or, on the other hand, too powerful and blow out the speakers). Anyone have any pointers as to ensuring that the speakers will work with my amp?

I'm open to other suggestions as to which speakers to pick up -- if someone would suggest a pair of speakers other than the B2030P units I mentioned, I'd like to hear the suggestion!

Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction! Thanks in advance for any suggestions! =)

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
beatsme said:
what kind of wattage are we talking about re: your Pioneer?

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure -- The only wattage I can find is under power consumption -- "AC 120 Volts, 60Hz, 150 Watts."

I could very well be mistaken, but that's not the same power provided to the speakers, is it? Sorry, audio is not my strongest point. :eek:

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
hotwire132002 said:
Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure -- The only wattage I can find is under power consumption -- "AC 120 Volts, 60Hz, 150 Watts."

I could very well be mistaken, but that's not the same power provided to the speakers, is it? Sorry, audio is not my strongest point. :eek:

I'm assuming you're just going to be listening to music/watching movies, yes?

anyway, I scanned around the internet and I think the SA 6500 puts out around 25W or 30W per channel, depending upon which model you have. If it were me, I'd probably stay away from "monitors," since those are mostly used for mixing and don't have a whole lot of character...I also hear Behringer stuff is kinda chintzy.

Check out this link
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Kt5fy4...up.asp?g=37900&cm_re=leftnav*spg11999*pg37900

There's a few things in there that are close to your budget, and you can't really go wrong spending more money on better speakers.

IMHO, you'd probably be wise to get a decent set of Bose or Infinity bookshelf speakers (have no experience with Polk Audio so I can't say) to start, and then later if you want you can add a powered subwoofer or maybe pick up a new amp...up to you. I'd be careful with that Pioneer, since an amp with such low output can fry speakers pretty easily...ask me how I know.

BTW, I have a pair of Bose 201's I've had for about 10 years now...GREAT speakers for the money I spent...

hope this helps

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
beatsme said:
I'm assuming you're just going to be listening to music/watching movies, yes?

anyway, I scanned around the internet and I think the SA 6500 puts out around 25W or 30W per channel, depending upon which model you have. If it were me, I'd probably stay away from "monitors," since those are mostly used for mixing and don't have a whole lot of character...I also hear Behringer stuff is kinda chintzy.

Check out this link
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Kt5fy4...up.asp?g=37900&cm_re=leftnav*spg11999*pg37900

There's a few things in there that are close to your budget, and you can't really go wrong spending more money on better speakers.

IMHO, you'd probably be wise to get a decent set of Bose or Infinity bookshelf speakers (have no experience with Polk Audio so I can't say) to start, and then later if you want you can add a powered subwoofer or maybe pick up a new amp...up to you. I'd be careful with that Pioneer, since an amp with such low output can fry speakers pretty easily...ask me how I know.

BTW, I have a pair of Bose 201's I've had for about 10 years now...GREAT speakers for the money I spent...

hope this helps

Certainly does! Thanks for the advice, I'll look into some of the speakers you mentioned, and probably a new amp as well. =)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Polk and Infinity make great bookshelf speakers. You can't go wrong with anything in their product line as far as I'm concerned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.