good hotels in san francisco

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobscliff, Aug 23, 2006.

1. bobscliff macrumors regular

bobscliff

what are some nice hotels near the university of san francisco. i'm visiting the university for a tour and would like to be near the university for convenience. Three stars is probably the sweet spot. $200 or less per night. Thanks.

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I stayed in SF once. belive, me you're not going to find a three star hotel for less then $200 a night, especialy in California.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's absolutely doable...no problem.

I would recommend the Stanyan Park Hotel...standard rates are about $140 a night. It's a cute little Victorian a few blocks from USF. It's right near the Haight, which can be good or bad depending on your perspective. I think it's a two or three star hotel depending on the guide.

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Not necessarily. Are you doing three stars on a scale of 1-3 or 1-5? ;)
    California isn't that outrageous. Around USF (I'm more used to Santa Barbara than SF, so it's a bit of a stretch for me), it looks like you'll be near Balboa St. and Golden Gate Park (nice area, btw).

For this area, I'd recommend the Stanyan Park Hotel. Rooms there start about 150, and go to around 300, so you should be able to find something in your range. It's a nice hotel.

Edit: wwwhoooaaa, that was spooky, WildCowboy. Great minds think alike!

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Good call, gauchogolfer! :D

I stayed at Stanyan Park for a few nights back before I moved out here, and I know a lot of people who have stayed there. Some of my best friends live almost right around the corner from it...and there's a North Beach Pizza just a block away. It's also where a lot of the visiting seminar speakers at UCSF's Parnassus campus (opposite direction from USF, but it's close to both schools) are usually hosted.

Edit: Now Santa Barbara on the other hand...that's tough for budget-minded consumers. Even the Motel 6's were going for $120+ when I tried to get a room down there a few weeks ago. Ended up staying at one of the Best Western's in Solvang for only $70.

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Yeah, it can be a pain to find a place around that's not crazy. If you have to stay in SB again you might try one of the bed & breakfasts in town; if it's during the week they might have some openings and are about the same price as your Motel 6 :).

It's good to hear a confirmation for the Stanyan Park hotel...I just IMed a family member who lives on Russian Hill, and that was the one he recommended.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Much cheaper in Santa Maria here, if you're willing to drive an hour. Technically we're still in Santa Barbara county... :p

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

At least until north county finally manages to secede from the pinko liberals on the coast. :p

On topic last time we went to SF we used a B&B finder service and had a great place near Haight-Ashbury for < $200. I'll see if I can find the link.

B