Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
Is it?

I am probably going to get a PowerBook 12" 1.5 ghz really soon, but I heard that getting refurbed 1.33 ghz Pb 12"'s isnt such a bad idea either.

What's everyone's opinions on refurbed?

hhlee

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
refurb is a well promoted option on this forum from other posts i've seen.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I've got a refurbished dual 2.5 sitting at home and I love it. Works perfectly and looks great. Even came with additional RAM and a bigger hard drive. The only downside: those refurbished boxes aren't near as sexy as the real boxes. Too bad, huh?

Seriously, though...I'm very happy with my refurb, and will definitely look at them again the next time I'm in the market for a computer.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
Oh, quick question... do the Powerbook 12" come with speakers on the acutal laptop, or do you have to use headphones?

SteveG4Cube

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
MontCo., PA
I just got a refurb 20" imac, and it came with 512mb/250gb instead of 256mb/160gb. Same warranty as new, looks brand new, works flawlessly, not one complaint. My sister got a refurb. iBook G3 awhile back and it's still working great, too. I'd highly recommend refurb. stuff from Apple.

sstern1

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2004
The PB 12" comes with speakers, they're just hidden in the pictures. They're not bad.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2004
before you jump on me lol, I think refurbished would be like buying a used car some are good some SUCK. If I'm spending the money i did on my powerbook I would rather have new for a few extra bucks.

JUST MY OPINION!!!! lol

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
CA
Thanks for all your replies, guys. There aren't any refurbed Powerbooks at the apple store right now (well, at least on the education website), so I'm probably going to get the 1.5 ghz one. thanks anyway! :)

RAS admin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
Berkshires, Mass.
I have been using a refurb dual 2.5 G5 since Sept. last year. It became available on the Apple site while everyone else were still waiting due to low yields from IBM. It was advertised as stock, but it arrived with a 250GB SATA (instead of 160GB), 1GB of RAM (instead of 512MB) and $300 cheaper.
I also got Apple Care for it and my 30" LCD at the same time.

CalfCanuck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Just be aware of which generation you are buying in refurb ...

This has more to do with the G5 iMacs, than the older PB's, though, since the more recent PB changes are less drastic.

For the G5 iMacs, however, the 2G had a LOT of smaller upgrades that together add up to be a different computer. (video card, BT 2, standard Airport Express, 512 MB RAM, bigger (and faster?) HD, plus possibly a redesigned mid-plane assembly - since it is no longer user interchangeable)

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
If you're an educational customer like one post seems to indicate. Don't buy the refurb. Use the Student Union promo and get a free iPod Mini and sell it on eBay. You'll come out farther ahead than the refurb price.

hhlee

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
MUCKYFINGERS said:
Thanks for all your replies, guys. There aren't any refurbed Powerbooks at the apple store right now (well, at least on the education website), so I'm probably going to get the 1.5 ghz one. thanks anyway! :)

apple usually releases refurbs daily.

GlynJones

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2005
I ordered a Powermac Dual 1.8 and that arrived with a dented foot. It was lopsided so I had to prop it up with a bit of rubber.

It is pot luck what you get.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
MUCKYFINGERS said:

If you think you'll get an additional discount on a refurb through the education site, you won't. The prices on refurbs are the same whether through the main site or through the education site.

To get in on a refurb deal, check the site out at around midnight. That's when they seem to get listed.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
GlynJones said:
I ordered a Powermac Dual 1.8 and that arrived with a dented foot. It was lopsided so I had to prop it up with a bit of rubber.

It is pot luck what you get.

You should have send your's back immediately!

Refurbs are supposed to meet all new specs.

A slight scratch is even rare, so if you're not happy with an Apple
product, don't mess around, insist on the quality you've paid for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.