Good image viewer? Not iphoto!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by prophet621, Sep 19, 2005.

1. prophet621 macrumors member

Are there any good image viewers? I really really don't like iphoto.

I do some 3d modeling as a hobby and on Windows I use ThumbsPlus to navigate between several different folders I download textures into and can open pictures in full size in a new window. I can also have multiple pictures open at once so I can compare them and decide which I want to use for a texture.

2. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Is Preview not good enough for this?

3. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Adobe Photoshop Album has a lot of the same functionality, but Preview is more than adequate to do everythign you need. If neither of these cut it, I'd say your best bet is to buy Virtual PC and run your app on that.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

GraphicConverter is bundled with most new Macs. It can browse folders of graphics, serve as an iPhoto replacement, is a capable raster image editor, and can even accept Photoshop plug-ins.

5. prophet621 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the replies. I'm new to macs and wasn't aware of other software that came standard on the mac other than iphoto which feels clunky and limiting to me. I usually use folders to catalog all my pictures from my camera or textures (stone, brick, wood..etc) so rather than going through hundreds of pictures looking for a brick I can go to that folder and look through only a dozen or two. I wanted to leave them on my external drive or cd and not need to import them which iphoto doesn't seem to want to do.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

iView Media Pro and Extensis Portfolio both have free trials.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Shomi

http://www.goat.demon.co.uk/shomi.html

Not the most elegant, but it does one thing and it does it well. Pretty fast too.

I like it. :)

On the PC I loved ACDSee, unfortunately their Mac version leaves a lot to be desired (speed notably among them).