good imap mail service

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cuckoo, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

Hi All,

I've been a .mac user for a coulpe of years. But since as long as i can remember it's a mediocre service at best. The two services which i actually use are mail and the idisk. but both are quite slow.

Does anybody have experience with a (paid) IMAP service for mail? And which one can you reccomend? as an alternative to my .mac mail? (i know i'll be losing my .mac account, but that's no biggie to me.

And secondly, anybody experience with a (paid) webdav service as an alternative for the idisk?

Ideally they would have a better performance then the .mac service.

Any information an/or tips are appriciated.

2. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

One alternative to IMAP might be to use GMail with Mailplane (although it's still in development). It basically gives GMail full Mac integration (drag-and-drop attachments, the 'email' button in iPhoto works, etc). I'm beta testing it and it needs some work but it's basically a godsend :)

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

IS that IMAP at all?

for OP, I found this suggestion unexpected, since I never found them to be likable.

AOL mail provide free IMAP service.

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Personally, I use gMail for everything now, but if you have your heart set on an IMAP client I'd recommend that you just get your own webhosting plan, register a domain name, and host your own email. You can get a sufficient plan from ASmallOrange for ~$25 per year, a domain name will run you $20 for a multi-year registration, and you'll be able to have your choice of user names and control all your own options.

That's the only way to go for email service, imo. (It's what I do, but I set my mail to forward to my gMail account mow. The bonus is that it's MY email account, not one that I am "leasing" from another company, so I'm not subject to any usage restrictions. I can stop using gMails client whenever I want, I have complete control over the account, etc).

5. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

:)

6. Cuckoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but apart from the fact that mailplane isn't taking any more beta-testers, is the thing i'm really looking for a imap mail system.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I use AOL's IMAP also. Seems like a good service. I don't see anything particularly bad about it.

I'd be curious also, though, if others have experience with paid WebDAV... there's BingoDisk and the like; I've never used these. It would seem that the lack of support for secure WebDAV over https in MacOS would be a nuisance (one can use Goliath, as I do for school, but Goliath does not have proper long filename support).

8. Cuckoo thread starter macrumors 6502

I do beleive that mac os x supports https webdav... but i haven't found a proper service yet....

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Really? Every place I've ever seen that uses https and webdav together requires the use of Goliath.... I understand the standards-is-standards argument, but if the OS X implementation is so rigid that it does not work on any service, what's the point? :(

10. n8236 macrumors 65816

Mailplane is awesome! If you signed up for beta, they're giving out 100 invitations a day, so it's not too long until you get yours (i did).

11. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I ended up signing up for an Exchange account with 1and1 hosting to get calendar synchronization and the like. It's slower than I'd like, but it works pretty well. I simply have my ISP email address forward to it, and it works great for me.

12. mwxiao macrumors regular

Take a look at FastMail.

One of the best IMAP mail service. Offer free account and paid service.

I've been using it for three years now.

13. blouwagie macrumors newbie

You could use Opera as an IMAP client

Hi,

I love the Opera browser on the Mac, so does my wife. I never looses any browsing thread, even after shutting down the app. Its free at www.opera.com.

And yes it is a very capable IMAP mail client. I do not use if for POP because exporting (if would be needed) from Opera is not easy to say the least.

Bart