Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Hi,
My standalone DVD player is quite old (probably a first generation product) and occasionally it has problems with certain DVD's & CD's. I have a surround system and a large screen analog TV, but not HDTV. I would like to get something that won't be totaly out of date if/when I upgrade my equipment, but I don't want to spend more than I need to either. Does anybody have any buying recommendations or things to look for/look out for? I obviously need optical and component/s-video out, but is upconversion worth it if I ever get new equipment? My current TV supposedly supports up to 1000 lines vertical (I suppose using component inputs). I notice there is a big price spread for upconversion - what is the difference?

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
I had the same problem and then the sucker finally died.

I just got a Philips DVD player at Target for $59.95. You can find 10% off coupons for the online store. Philips Outlet also has one for $49.95 but there's probably a shipping charge. I buy progressive scan, but I don't think HDMI is worth it yet.

I've always been impressed with Philips & Toshiba. Sony's not the company it used to be. But you know what - any manufacturer can sell you a dud, so make sure you keep the receipt.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
amazon has a Philips DVD player for only $50 or $40, and it plays DVD, DivX etc. pretty nice.
.....you sure you should post the question here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.