Good intro book for OS X Panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jpines, Nov 7, 2004.

1. jpines macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2004
    I just ordered an iMac G5 and am more-or-less new to OS X. Any recommendations on a good comprehensive introductory book on OS X (I assume the iMac ships with Panther?)? I was looking at the David Pogue Missing Manual on OS X, but would welcome other folks' recommendations. Thanks!
  2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Yup. A new computer comes with the newest OS.

Missing manual is good. But the OS is very simple to figure out. You might be able to just post a question here on MacRumors if you need help, but it might help you to read that. There is a Quick-Start guide, too, so that you can get up and running and do things quickly, without much fuss. Apple tends to have nice manuals. :)
  3. Stevp1 macrumors regular

Dec 8, 2003
  4. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2004
    South Jersey
    The missing manual is about the best I've seen, imho... I agree Apple does tend to have great manuals available from various authors— the problem is that none of them actually come with your computer- you have to buy them seperate.. Personally, I never read any of the manuals that came with my PCs, but the lack of an included manual is a fairly common critcism of Apple from PC users... I just laugh because honestly, I didn't think ANYBODY read those huge, generic, phonebook things that come with most PC's... Turns out I'm the only one who DIDN"T read 'em... lol... hmmmm, maybe that's why I never had much luck with PC's- "when all else fails , read the directions"....
  5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Missing Manual is great.

Avoid 'OS X for Dummies' -- poor value...
  6. palusami macrumors regular

Nov 4, 2004
    san jose, ca
    i agree...

missing manual is the best imho, aside from info i get from websites like macrumors. when i bought my pb, it came with a year's subscription to macworld which i've also found to be very helpful.
  7. nekkets macrumors newbie

Apr 20, 2004